Friday, December 11, 2020

Purging


I always feel better as I head into a new year if I do a little bit of purging of items we no longer want, use or need.  I will go through drawers, cabinets and closets collecting items to donate and place them into a bag.  Other items that can be recycled are placed into our recycle bin which is set at the curb for collection.  I make a point to gather up all of our glass bottles and jars to take to the recycling station set up at a grocery store parking lot nearby as our regular curbside recycling does not include glass.  Paper with sensitive or personal information on it will get shredded or burned.  Lastly, whatever cannot be donated, shredded, burned or recycled goes into the trash.

 


Next I go through my computer and delete what I no longer need.  I organize all of the remaining files and photos into Folders, name and date them.  Once I’ve completed that task I back these storage Folders up onto a thumb drive for long term storage.  I check to make sure the items I want to store on the thumb drive are indeed there and will open.  Then I will go back and remove those stored Folders from my computer or go ahead and leave them if I think I might access them later.  I will create new files, mostly Excel workbooks and a couple Word Docs in preparation of the new year as well as new Folders to keep things organized.

 


I am really good at purging my emails as I go, just as I do with the mail I get in my mailbox.  I have folders setup to organize emailed receipts and important information and will go through those and delete what I no longer need as well as empty the trash bin.  I will also go through and unsubscribe to unwanted emails, mostly from stores I don’t want to shop at and deactivate accounts to groups and social media that I don’t need to be a party to.  I have done a lot of that this past year.

 


Another area I am purging myself of this time around is with regard to people and social commitments.  I know there is less of that this year than what there has been for a very long time which actually has allowed me to do some soul searching and really think about what I want and what I don’t want.  What I’m willing to put up with and what I am not.  Who impacts my life positively and who sucks me dry.  Without going into too much detail, I have made a pact with myself that if people, situations or events are not positive and something or someone is not in my best interest I will no longer participate.  It’s hard to explain exactly what I mean, but suffice it to say, it is a really good decision for me.  And one that, surprisingly, I am very excited about.

 


There are many ways to purge.  These are the areas that are most important to me.  Do you do any annual purging?  What are things you work on in preparation of a new year?

 

  

6 comments:

  1. I've done similar things. And, giving up the social media side (Facebook, particularly) was incredibly helpful, particularly leading up to the election. But, I haven't looked back - it's been great not to get sucked into drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The political rants drive me nuts. I just steered completely clear of all that nonsense.

      Delete
  2. Are you really going to delete your Facebook page?

    I do have trouble in this area, being taught from childhood to "keep it -- it might come in handy later." Moving from our 7-bedroom house to a fifth-wheel helped, though there's still a bunch of stuff stored in my mom's garage that really needs to be whittled down. I have done better in small areas, like buying groceries -- we just don't have the space for stockpiling like I used to, though I still will buy 8 cans of tomatoes or so, if the price is right, and we use it a lot. My urge to buy souvenirs on this trip to Puerto Vallarta has gone WAY down...even though our money issues are pretty good right now. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly do not use my personal facebook at all. The blog one will stay and I love it because it is all nice stuff on that feed. :o)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE a good purge. I feel like I'm doing it constantly. My mantra is "When in doubt, throw it out." Regarding the temporal, physical, personal purges, I understand. I made the decision a long time ago to whittle away this area. Others have branded a recluse, introvert and non-social. Fine. Those who brand just further justify this decision. Honestly, if we are not comfortable in our own space with our own company, going to that Prosecco party isn't going to change things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purging is definitely good for the soul. Take care Meg. XX

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...