Friday, June 25, 2021

Making Things Better #6

 


You may not find this of much interest as it may seem a bit repetitive.  Mostly I've been working on more decluttering, downsizing and re-organizing.  It's what I can do and to be quite honest it seems to make me very happy.  I guess that in and of itself is making things better. J

 

I worked on the bottom drawer

I have been working on my craft and sewing supplies and given the fact that I have A LOT of that stuff it will likely take me a fair bit of time to work my way through it all.  I spent about three hours one Saturday morning just going through all of my laces, ribbons and trims.  I put a very full stuff gallon Ziploc bag of items into the donation bag, tossed out some stuff and then re-organized what was left.  I was able to empty two plastic shoe box storage bins and get everything to fit nicely inside my one storage bin with room to spare.

 

I pulled a bunch of stuff out of my sewing table

Next I worked on the elastics, zippers, snaps & buttons and the other fasteners plus the items I had in my sewing table.  In the process I was able to clear out another bin and get all of those items re-organized into the bottom drawer of my storage tower.  I had some cute rectangular containers that were part of my lunch bag I received on my last birthday.  I wasn't using them for food but was able to repurpose then to hold sewing supplies.  One is now full of all types and sizes of snaps and the other is full of covered button sets and supplies.  I corralled all of the zippers into one quart sized Ziploc bag.

 

My great grandmother's embroidery basket and her wooden hoop which I use
Some of these flosses are hers as well as the thimble and some of the needles inside

I gathered all of my embroidery supplies together and decluttered several items I haven't use including a few I had since the 1970s (no judgment).  I figured it was about time.  Then I went through the craft supplies in my crafting center once again and was able to eliminate two more bins.  I combined all of my jewelry making supplies into two bins, one shoe box sized bin and one Plano container with compartments, and I decluttered quite a bit in the process.

 

I put all of my embroidery transfers, extra floss and needles
into a vinyl zipper case that a curtain set came in

I've shredded quite a bit more papers and stayed on top of any items coming into the house as well.  I filled a grocery bag full of cross cut shredding and got that out to the recycle bin along with more cardboard and other recyclable items.  I got out another kitchen sized trash bag to put all of the donation items in and set it in the garage for us to add more items to.  Lastly I took out a small bag of trash and called it good.

 

Once I was done I gave everything a quick wipe down and vacuumed the carpet

As I said this may not thrill some people, but it sure does me.  For me it is progress and another way for me to make our lives better.  That's what is important.

 

 

14 comments:

  1. I will never get tired of hearing about decluttering! It motivates me in my own decluttering. We recently had a yard sale, then set things (all great condition) on curb and have tossed other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love decluttering!!! Congrats on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love those kind of chores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It thrills me. I love sewing rooms and all it’s stuff!! I saw treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering doesn’t your daughter move back during summer months to her old room from college?? (Is that your craft room?) do you have to redo it then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is our guestroom/craft room. 1/3 is my craft area and the rest is the bedroom. She is still at school this summer as a TA for one of her professors and has a job so she is staying put. But she always has a place to stay if she wants to.

      Delete
  6. No judgment here about old sewing supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy hearing about your next decluttering task! It helps remind me of the organizing I may have not thought about and this hits that right on the mark!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...