Friday, June 11, 2021

Bathrooms & Toilets

 


I've talked about cleaning my bathrooms briefly before and how I manage to keep them clean is listed in my Thrifty Moves posted on a weekly basis.  I thought I'd go a little more in depth with how I accomplish this task, or tasks rather.  I am very thrifty with both the cost of keeping up my home as well as the time I spend doing so.  When it comes to cleaning supplies I keep it very simple.  The same goes with the processes I use to keep my home clean and tidy.

 

I love a clean mirror & shiny faucets


When it comes to keeping up the bathrooms, we have two (one on each level of our two story home), I manage them on a daily, weekly and quarterly basis.  Every day I do a bit of a wipe & swipe, or as the Fly Lady would call it a swish & swipe.  Every morning after I get ready for work I wipe down the sink and counter, top of the toilet and about three times a week I use a bit of cleaning solution (Fabulosa & water) I keep in a container next to the toilet with a brush to swish around and tidy up our toilets.  It only takes me a couple minutes each day to really stay on top of these two rooms.

 

Every once in a while I take this apart and use a toothbrush to get it good & clean

Once a week I chose a couple of more in-depth tasks to complete in each room.  One day I may clean the mirrors and the light fixtures, scrub the sink or vacuum the floor and give it a good mop.  About every other week I'll scrub the toilets really well and give our tub & shower a good clean.  Every so often I'll add the bathroom rugs to a load of wash, while towels get changed out a couple times a week and added to our regular laundry.  Because I maintain these rooms on a daily basis they don't get all that dirty and things don't get the chance to build up so when I do a deeper clean it is super easy and takes very little time.

 

Shower curtain, liner and decorative towels went into the wash

On a quarterly basis I will wash the decorator towels, the shower curtain & liner, vacuum the exhaust fan and wipe it down, wipe down the walls and ceiling, super scrub the toilets and use a pumice stone along the water line to get rid of the calcium that accumulates.  And again it doesn't take me very long to do these tasks because nothing is allowed to really build up and get dirty.  I only work on the bathrooms about fifteen minutes or less in total per room so thirty minutes or less per week.

 

I hang the liner to dry right from the wash
I pull the curtain out of the dryer after 15 minutes and hang it before it can wrinkle

I keep the cleaning products pretty simple too.  I use an old tea towel and window cleaner on the mirrors, faucets and light fixtures, Fabulosa in a spray bottle to clean surfaces, Comet cleanser and a scour sponge to clean sinks, tubs, tiles and toilets.  A pumice stone to get rid of the water scale in the toilet bowl and around the sink and tub drains works really well.  I do keep a Comet bathroom bleach spray on hand too if I feel the bathroom needs extra sanitizing and to get rid of stains.  I find these five items (window cleaner, Fabulosa, Comet, Comet bleach cleaner, pumice stone) are more than adequate along with a scrub sponge and cleaning rags.

 

Freshly laundered and just for looks
Yes, I'm one of those people 😊

Keeping the process simple, the cleaning products simple and maintaining on a daily basis helps me so much to keep my bathroom chores easy, quick and very manageable.  The best part is we always have a clean bathroom.

 

2 comments:

  1. I remember having "for show" towels. Lacy, flowers, trim. Lol, long ago and far away......

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...