Tuesday, June 29, 2021

June $100 Grocery Budget 2021

 


This month I challenged myself to very minimal grocery shopping.  At the beginning of June we had a full fridge and pantry along with plenty of items in both the kitchen freezer as well as the chest freezer in our garage.  We had no immediate needs for anything so I was determined to see how long I could go without going to the grocery store.

 

We had plenty on hand to make our own diner meal

Over the last five months I had managed to squirrel away quite a bit purchasing mainly items I found on sale or marked down.  With loads of meal options it seemed prudent to work off of our current supply rather than to continue to purchase more groceries, even if there were good sales to tempt me.  Fortunately I was able to stave off any of those temptations.

 

Shopping the fridge & freezer I made this pesto shrimp with asparagus

We made wise use of what we had on hand and ate our leftovers to minimize food waste, which is something we try our best to do at all times.  I always feel quite guilty whenever I toss food in the trash.  Once we had used up our fresh produce we did stop into Fred Meyer to see what they had on markdown and lucked out with baby spinach for 99¢ and salad mix for only 25¢.  A pound of deli turkey, half gallon of milk, a bunch of bananas and a head of iceberg lettuce were purchased mid month at Winco and we kept going for a couple more weeks.

 

The hens have kept us well supplied with eggs

We still have quite a bit of food in this house so next month I plan to continue with our minimal grocery spending and shopping too.  I'm curious to see just how far we can take this.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if I end up doing the same thing again in August as well.  I'll keep you posted, but know my grocery posts may be a bit on the boring side if that is the case.

 

Bean soup from our freezer
I shopped our freezer quite a bit for veggies too

In spite of not purchasing much we enjoyed some delicious and nutritious meals.  I spent a total of $40.95 on food in June and nothing on nonfood items.  I will roll over the remaining amount I did not spend on food this month to use next month, or more likely in August or September.  I put the entire $25 of our non food budget into savings.  Are any of you doing any crazy grocery or meal challenges?  I would love to hear about it.

 

2 comments:

  1. This week I will not buy anything from the store except cole slaw or cabbage to make it. (most likely go with the latter.)
    Next week our kids come for a visit so I'll have to buy some items for the grands but I hope to keep it to the minimum. (cereal, milk, chips, produce.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok what is that delicious looking sauce in front of the fries?

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...