Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Change Is Constant - Finding My "New Normal"

 


Oh my gosh!  2021 has been a wild ride for me so far, but while I've had my fair share of frustrating days I'm not about to give up or give in.  No way!  While I have no qualms or concerns about death or dying I sure don't feel the need to just sit back and wait for it to happen, because who really knows?  That day could be anytime, tomorrow or decades from now.  A couple weeks ago I decided to just get on with it and get back to living.  Is this what my doctor wants me to do?  Well, sort of…  but not exactly, however I'm just not one to sit and vegetate.  It drives me nuts and it is stressing me out!  I do not plan to do anything stupid or jeopardize my health, but at the same time I've got to do things.  I've got to live and that is what I plan to do.

 


I was discussing this at length with a friend of mine who knows me pretty darn well.  He asked me if I could be fully retired and ready to pull Laverne out of my driveway in 20 months.  Without hesitation I said yes!  He is retiring (early also) in 21 months and he has challenged me to do pretty much do the same.  He knows I'm ready, I know I'm ready and with all that has just happened to me this year I feel this is something I seriously need to do.  I've done a whole lot of thinking, soul searching, financial planning and talking with my girls.  I need to be done so I can get on with life and do all those things I've been planning to do for a very long time.  It really needs to be this way.  Now I am officially in retire early mode.  So what does that mean exactly?  Well let me tell you.

 

We are so close to completion!  Click here to see inside!

Laverne is a HUGE part of my plan.  She will initially be my home, my transportation, my safe haven and most importantly my adventure mobile.  In the next year I will be getting her ready to hit the road with new tires and batteries last on the list so both will be as new and fresh as possible since right now I do not know exactly how long I will be living in Laverne.  But I will tell you I am super excited about this!!

 


Downsizing, organizing and preparing what is inside of my house and preparing to sell our home will also be a big part of my process.  Right now the plan is to rent a small storage unit in about a year and a half to set up and store the personal belongings that are most important to me.  This will also act as my home base, if you will.  A place where I can swap out things I need with items I no longer currently use.  A space to store my overflow and extra items so I can keep Laverne as clutter free as possible.  Sporting equipment will be here, off season clothing, bulk items like T.P., laundry detergent, etc.  You get the idea.  It will basically be a giant closet.

 


A new wardrobe is going to be necessary as well and right now I am working on that.  I've been shopping for new, durable and comfortable footwear and thrift store shopping for clothing items that will fit my new life because obviously my current office wear isn't going to cut it.  So far I have a brand new pair of hiking boots (the catalyst that has spurned me in this direction), light jackets and leggings in a variety of lengths, some active wear tops and a good pair of winter boots.  I also have an insulated fluorescent lime green and black safety jacket for being out in the woods or to wear when I'm on my bike.  I'll need a few more active wear pieces and other clothing items for various activities and weather conditions so I will keep hunting the thrift stores but I am already off to a good start.

 


There will be BLM land, forest service land, campgrounds and RV parks in my future.  Lakes, rivers, creeks, hiking trails, mountains, deserts, kayaking, fishing, campfires, rocks, dirt, water, rain, snow and sunshine.  Loads of fresh air, exercise, beautiful scenery and new people to meet along the way.  Can you tell I'm a little bit excited?  This is what I need!  This is what is in my currently bruised and battered heart.  This is what is going to heal me.

 

I've got gobs of ideas!

I spent an entire afternoon in Laverne figuring out the last of the improvements I plan to make and coming up with good storage solutions for the things I want to take with me.  With the help of my girls and a few friends we are drawing up plans to get me ready to roll.  We are also making up a plan of what we want to talk to my cardiologist about and my oldest is planning to go with me to my appointment in July.  At the time of that appointment I will only have eighteen months left until my retirement date!  That is not a lot of time at all.  I better get busy!!

 

15 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you. I envy you the preparations of the next 20 months (and I retired early 2y ago ;-)

    IYR on Broadway has a ton of activewear in smaller sizes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear about your early retirement planning process. I will be eligible for retirement at the 30 year mark in early 2028. That is 7 years away and I will be 53 at that time. I don't seriously think I will be able to actually retire then. I am debt free now except for my mortgage but I have two girls who are college bound next year and like you I am a solo parent. I also don't really have any investments but I am a saver (even if it is crumbs at times). I work for my state and am in a retirement system so there is that. I just don't know where to begin to even try to plan.

    I am very happy for you! I am so glad you are moving forward with it. You have been in my thoughts and prayers so much this year. I can't wait to see your dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace. I am super excited!

      Please come up with a plan. You work hard and after our children fly the nest it is time for us to have some fun! Working until 65 shouldn't be the norm. Life is precious.

      Delete
    2. Candace, please do really start considering what you will do. What will you do with the time currently spent in "Paid Employment"? What will your monthly budget be? What expenses will vanish? What expenses will be new? What do you enjoy doing in your non-employment time right now?

      Retiring without a plan leaves much room in your mind and soul for disaster. I've seen and heard it too many times.

      Consider a trial period? Can you take 30 days off in the next year?

      Spend some time on retired people's blogs. Read the comments posted on topics of interest. There is soooo much help out there as well as experiences shared we can learn from-both positive and negative.

      When you arrive at destination retirement, you'll be sooooo glad you made a plan!

      Delete
  3. Oh please go for it!!! I ended up getting divorced at 53. Very happily divorced I would add but I ended up having to take out a new mortgage to buy Cheater McCheaterpants out, so I was planning to work to 62. I could have worked to 65 but didn't want to, but 62 would have left me comfortable enough. Then I started doing the maths over and over and over, got pissed off at my boss at work one day and handed in my notice to retire at 60 (two years ago), and I haven't regretted it one bit. All the more so since I've had a few former colleagues sadly die unexpectedly in their 50s and all I can think is "why didn't you go when you could"? You're smart and realistic so please take that leap - and take plenty of photos on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I've had a few of my colleagues die in the last year that are younger than me. Heartbreaking and it makes you think. Add in my own health issues this year and it makes you plan! Yes! Lots of pics!

      Delete
  4. I can feel your excitement!!! Come on to NC, you can park in my yard and we will site see!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm retiring in 16 months, had enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you. I look forward to hearing all about it ! I would love to live in an RV....

    ReplyDelete
  7. General question to all early retirees: how do you pay for health insurance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. healthcare.gov Find an insurance broker. Premiums on a lot of policies are based on your annual income.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...