Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Christmas Gift Idea – Snowmen!


This summer the girls and I started our snowman project.  It is so simple and easy anyone can do this.  You start with a 4” X 4” cut in 8” lengths.  Depending on how many you plan to make will determine how much lumber you will need.  I purchased an 8 foot pine 4” X 4”.  You can use scrap wood too but don’t use pressure treated lumber because of the chemicals in it.

The girls are painting the snowman bodies. 

Other items you will need include: 

·         White house paint

·         Sponge or paint brushes

·         Buttons, scraps of fabric, ribbons, trim, etc.

·         Felt

·         Markers

·         Incense cones

·         Orange acrylic paint

·         Craft glue

·         Scissors 

We set out and painted all of our wood pieces and allowed them to dry overnight.  Then we painted the incense cones orange.  I found them at the $ store.  They make great “carrot” noses.
 
All lined up in a row to dry on an old 2" X 4".
 
We decorated ours and made earmuffs out of fabric yo-yos.  I had never made them before but found a tutorial on youtube that made it an easy task to learn.  

Since I am no artist I used felt to cut out for eyes and a mouth.  I glued buttons from my button jar on the body portion.  A scrap of fabric cut with pinking shears was tied around for a muffler and another one used for the band on the earmuffs.  Finally we glued a square of felt to the bottom so we wouldn’t have to worry about someone scratching their table. 

I used leftover paint from when I painted the girl’s bedroom last spring and I had everything else on hand so my only purchase for this project was the lumber and the incense cones which totaled $13. 

I think pairing one of these with a plate of homemade cookies or some fudge would make a great gift.  Super easy and a super fun family project!  Cute little buggers too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...