Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some Thoughts On Being Thrifty


Call it what you like – frugal, thrifty, tightwad, miser – it really doesn’t matter.  I don’t like cheap or stingy because that is not what being thrifty is about at all.  Miserly doesn’t really float my boat either, but, hey. 

Thriftiness, in my opinion, is all about being economically and ecologically aware.  I like to say I am financially conscious. 

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to pay my bills on time, keep my cupboards full, maintain my home and vehicles, provide necessities for my family and have money left at the end of the month.  To me that is the ultimate goal.  If I can throw in a little fun and the occasional vacation all the better! 

I think most thrifty people tend to – 

·         Be list makers, planners and goal setters
·         Put money into savings and retirement on a consistent basis
·         Have no, or very limited amounts, of debt
·         Purchase the best products for the least amount of money possible
·         Learn the art of patience, self control and self discipline
·         Be willing to negotiate for a fair price, low interest rate, better deal, etc.
·         Be concerned with the environment and their impact on it
·         Constantly look for ways to do it better and more efficiently
·         Be healthier, happier and carry less stress
·         Drive their automobiles until the wheels fall off
·         Ignore the latest fads, fashions and gimmicks
·         Stick with the classics – clothes, cars, etc.
·         Seldom use credit cards and pay them off each month when they do
·         Be willing to consider purchasing used items first before new ones
·         Take care of what they have to make it last longer
·         Try to fix something when it breaks before they replace it
·         Work hard and aren’t afraid to expend a little elbow grease
·         Accomplish most, if not all, of the goals they set
·         Seem more satisfied with life in general
·         Have a sense of financial security 

I enjoy setting a budget and working to stay within that set amount.  Whether it is for groceries, travel, back-to-school expenses, a vacation or gift giving it doesn’t matter.  I always set a budget and if we can’t make it within that budgeted amount then we don’t do it. 

We have put off our trip to Disney Land twice because the costs exceeded our budgeted amount.  Will we ever get there?  I hope so, but if we don’t it won’t be the end of the world.  This year we made other more affordable plans and went to Yellowstone instead.  We had a great time.  In the meantime I will continue to save for Disney Land and when we finally do get to go it will be just that much sweeter. 

As a family we work really hard to limit the amount of trash we produce and send to the landfill.  We re-use items as often as possible and put as much into our recycle bin as we can.  Composting has become a part of our everyday life.  I also try to think about waste, particularly in packaging when it comes to items I purchase.  For instance, I take my own bags to the grocery store. 

Becoming more self sufficient and self sustaining is an ongoing project.  I expect we will be working on this for the rest of our lives.  Building a bigger compost bin and a greenhouse, while learning to be a better gardener and raising a few chickens, is a part of that process.  So is taking care of my home and improving the land it sits on. 

Making wise choices when it comes to spending my money is also a part of the process.  Sometimes I miss the mark but I’m getting better at it every day.  It is something I will constantly need to work at and improve. 

I truly do believe it is less about the money you make and more about the money you spend.  It is definitely a mindset you have to get yourself into.  Once you start to think like a thrifty person you will certainly become one.  And a funny thing happens too.  Once you embark on a thrifty, self sufficient and self sustaining lifestyle things just seem to fall into place.  Especially, the happy part.  That’s the part I like best!
 
You might enjoy revisiting The Home Budget Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...