Monday, October 15, 2012

I Did Some Extreme Couponing… Sort Of


Yesterday I had a handful of really good coupons that were about to expire.  I just needed some really good sales to go along with them to make them really great coupons.  I was depending on the Sunday paper to help me along.  I lucked out. 

I actually woke up at 6:00 (on the only day I have to sleep in) wondering what was in the Sunday paper.  I tried to go back to sleep but knew within fifteen minutes that wasn’t going to happen.  I jumped up, started the coffee and headed outside to grab the paper.

Fred Meyer came through for me just like I hoped.  I carefully made a list and used the last of my budgeted money and some of November’s budget for this shopping venture.  I ended up with $30 in coupon savings by the time all was said and done.  Hurray!  Definitely worth it. 

I ended up paying $42 for $72 worth of groceries.  I love it when I can do that.  I am no extreme coupon shopper by any means and I don’t do this kind of shopping very often but when I do I get such a thrill.  The other important point is that I really don’t spend a lot of time at it either.  Time is money, so to speak, and I don’t have a lot of extra time these days.  But I still can save a significant amount of money on my groceries with what little time I do put into it. 

What is nice about this type of occasional couponing is that I can purchase things I wouldn’t normally purchase like pita bread, soda pop (saving for the holidays), flavored cream cheese spread, etc.  It also allows me to add to my pantry and freezer in a very thrifty manor. 

Here are some examples of the savings I got yesterday: 

·         2 half gallon jugs of orange juice – sale price $1.25 each less $1 coupon/2 = 75¢ each
·         4 boxes breakfast cereal – sale price $1.88 each less $2.25 in coupons = $1.32 each
·         4 half gallon jugs of milk – sale price $1.25 each less 75¢ coupon = $1.06 each
·         12 taco shells – sale price $1 less 50¢ coupon = 50¢ final price
·         Johnsonville Italian sausage - $4.99 less $1 coupon = $3.99 final price
·         Johnsonville chicken sausage - $3.99 less $1 coupon = $2.99 final price
·         2 boxes crackers – sale price $2 each less $1 coupon = $1.50 each final price
·         1 package salad mix – sale price 88¢ less 75¢ coupon = 13¢ final price! 

Additionally, I had a $5 store rewards coupon and my bag refund to take off the grand total which added again to my overall savings.  The nice thing about Fred Meyer too is that I use their gas station and this purchase adds to my fuel points and will save me 3¢ per gallon at the pump next time I fill up my vehicle. 

I spent about 30 minutes with the Sunday paper this morning plus an hour at the store.  I think the trade off in time was more than worth it plus I also find this entertaining.  I’m a nerd.
 
You might also enjoy revisiting Coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...