Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Holiday Shopping Etiquette


The other day I had the pleasure of getting together with my girlfriends to play pinochle and have some dinner.  While playing cards we got to discussing some of the Black Friday horror stories we had heard, many of which involved police officers and fist fights.  I shared my own firsthand experience with some bad behavior I had observed myself at the craft store a couple of weeks ago.  This led to further discussion of our overall discomfort with shopping at all during this time of year.  Even the grocery store is not immune to impatient and crabby shoppers. 

The other day I had the opportunity to put my own attitude and behavior to the test.  I had a set amount of time to get my errands done before I had to be at work one morning and I had a list and an agenda. 

I headed to the post office to pick up a book of holiday stamps for my Christmas cards.  The post office wasn't open yet and wouldn't be for nearly fifteen minutes.  Since Walgreens was close I decided not to waste any time and go there to pick up a couple items on my list, then double back to the post office. 

One of the items I wanted at Walgreens was out of stock but they had it at another store and would hold it for me.  The store wasn't exactly close but not too far way either so I decided to head over there to pick it up.  I figured I could do that and hit the post office on my way to the dollar store. 

When I got to the other Walgreens I found they had pulled the wrong item for me.  The store manager was wonderful and found the correct item and carried it up to the register for me.  Time was ticking.  I still had two more stops on my list. 

The clerk at the register was elderly, slow and in a jolly good mood.  He wanted to visit with me and share some of the things he was doing to get ready for Christmas.  I started to feel anxious and the need to rush things along.  Then I immediately thought "no way".  Visit with this gentleman and enjoy it.  So that is exactly what I did and I really enjoyed it too. 

By the time I got out of there and to the car I realized I had enough time to go to the post office and then head to work with time to spare so that is what I ended up doing.  Rather than rushing to the post office and rushing through the dollar store I just adjusted my agenda and went to the dollar store the next day. 

I am so glad I did too because the next day I wasn't rushed as I made my way through the dollar store and then I was able to chat with the nice clerk that checks me out regularly.  We got in a few laughs and the guy standing in line behind me joined right in making it a very pleasant experience. 

I was a good reminder for me that we just need to slow down and take our time with what we do ,but more importantly, in our interactions with each other, including total strangers.  The season is all about joy and good tidings so if we aren't having a joyful holiday experience it is probably our own darn fault. 

So while you are out and about remember to be kind, patient and joyful.  Smile and have a good time.  It’s Christmas!

1 comment:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...