Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


I hope you had the best Christmas ever.  I was blessed to have a few days off and we dialed it down and really enjoyed ourselves.  We got some great family time in listening to music, watching Christmas movies and playing games.  I even taught my oldest how to play solitaire with a deck of cards – no computer needed.  It was a wonderful extended weekend. 

Last week the Sunday paper did have some Albertson’s coupon doublers but since I have maxed out the budget for this month and used up my Walmart gift card I am done grocery shopping until January.  Okay by me, this time of year the stores are super busy and I am happy to just stay out of them. 


I made homemade fudge from scratch and a small batch of peppermint bark.  I wrapped up some of both and put it in a homemade gift bag and attached a homemade ornament to it as a hostess gift. 


I used three 50% off Jo Ann’s Fabrics coupons to purchase a package of 300 pom poms for $3.50, a 100 count package of Christmas pom poms for 50¢ and some white felt squares for 85¢. 

We made cookies and pumpkin bars to share with friends and family.  All of the ingredients came from our well stocked pantry. 


My daughters decorated candy canes like reindeer to give to their friends at school.  They gave their teachers the handmade potholders they had made along with a bottle of BBQ sauce and a card. 

Friends of ours gave us their 27” television set as they decided to upgrade to a flat screen.  We now have a replacement for the one that died in our living room.  It will make Family Movie Nite much nicer with a bigger screen once again.  We now have an extra TV as my parents decided they don’t want their loaner back.  I may put it in storage as a backup.  Our TV in the family room is pretty old. 


I made gift “baskets” out of cardboard boxes I had on hand.  I covered them with gift wrap, placed tissue inside and filled them up with homemade goodies, handmade ornaments and little gifts. 

One of our double yolkers.
The chickens blessed us with 10 eggs.  Two of them were double yolkers!  I’d say they are definitely earning their keep now. 

How was your thrifty week?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great Christmas. Ours was nice too. Now onto New Years!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gift basket box idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...