Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Mission Project #9 - Homemade Chicken Feeder


Lately the ladies have been making quite a mess with the feed.  They have been kicking over their feeder and getting lay pellets everywhere.  Time to upgrade to a “big girl” feeder! 

I started shopping around for a feeder.  I had already seen how much one was at Zamzows and D&B Supply so I searched online for ones through Google, Amazon and eBay.  Expensive!  Plus you have to pay shipping from most sources. 

Surely I can make one, right?  I started researching this idea and marveled at all the amazing and ingenious contraptions people have come up with.  I found several I liked but by the time one acquires the materials to make one you are back in the same boat – expensive! 

I came up with my own design involving a one gallon milk jug, a marker and a pair of scissors.  I cut out a hole in the side of the jug and voila.  Mission accomplished!
 

The key to this project is the hole.  It has to be high enough at the bottom that it holds feed, but not too high and so they can’t get their feet inside and tip it or get feed all over.  It has to be tall enough that they can get their head inside and not get stuck and wide enough that all three can feed at the same time. 

I traced it out with a marker and cut it out with scissors.  Then I washed it out and let it dry thoroughly overnight.  The next morning I put four cups of lay pellets inside and then out to the coop for the final test.  Would the ladies like it?
 

It was pretty funny because initially they looked at me like “What the heck is this?”  It didn’t take too long before one of them decided she was brave enough to try it and then the rest of them were suddenly interested.  Success! 

What I really love about this feeder is that I made it by recycling a plastic milk jug.  It is easy to carry because of the handle and easy to fill.  It is also easy to wash and keep clean.  When it wears out I can put it in the recycle bin and make another one.  It was FREE!
 

I decided to also make them one for water too.  Oh, and a little dish to screw to the side of the coop for holding oyster shells.  I made that one by washing out a cat food can.  It doesn’t get much easier than that.

5 comments:

  1. This works great! We found your blog post yesterday and tried it last night. No more tipped over feeders! Yay!
    Thanks for sharing!

    http://mskatiesartstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made something similar with a megasize peanut bottle. Hope the chicks catch on. They were pooing in the feeding plate i gave them and making a royal mess!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...