Friday, February 15, 2013

The Mission – Our Garage


One of the things I have worked on really hard the past couple of years is to not allow our garage to become a dumping ground.  When I went out there to work on it I had to pat myself on the back a little because the garage was in pretty good shape. 

Dirt and leaves had accumulated since I swept it out last so I made quick work of that.  I also wanted to organize some feed bins for the chickens which I did using an old Rubbermaid tote I had been hanging onto.  It had been empty for quite some time.  I had even offered it to my Mom but she didn’t think she would use it.  It isn’t very big and it is tall like a trash can so an odd shaped tote but, as it turns out, perfect for storing chicken feed.  Glad I still had it. 

I keep our cat food in a plastic tote with a lid that snaps closed and the litter in an old 5 gallon laundry soap bucket with a lid. 

In another 5 gallon bucket I keep all my wood scraps tucked into the corner with the extra fence boards I’ve kept for future repairs.  That supply is dwindling with all the projects we had over the summer.  Our ladder and reel lawn mower also resides there and next to that is our HUGE recycle bin.  I used to not like having it in the garage because it takes up so much space but we fill it up regularly so I know we need it.  A small cardboard box holds my glass items that go in to the recyclers periodically. 

We have a lot of shelving for storage too.  I even have a section for my canner and empty jars.  Right now most of those jar boxes are empty because my jars are full of home canned goodies. 

I did have a big pile of bagged up items to go to the thrift store but those have been taken in for donation. 

Next I plan to work on those boxes on the shelves to see if I can eliminate some of them.  I got rid of quite a few of them last spring and another one last week but I think I can do better.  I also want to clear the tops of the refrigerator and freezer so there is nothing on top of them.  Just wide open spaces.
 
Are you tackling any big organizational projects this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...