Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Four Months In

 
Tiny house living is not for the faint of heart.  It takes guts and muscles and true grit.  Having a bit of a screw loose doesn’t hurt either. 

We had a good hard freeze at 19° about mid November which resulted in the spigot, where we hook our heated line into, freezing up and developing a leak, which I discovered once it had thawed.  Not enough heat tape and insulation in that particular area.  Landlady had left town with no way to contact her so in order to continue to have water it fell on me to fix it.  That figures. 

A friend of mine came over and put an epoxy patch on it and then wrapped it with heat tape and extra insulation.  So far, so good.  It seems to be holding.  At night I turn off the water and whenever I leave, just in case it springs a leak again.  So other than the inconvenience of having to turn the water on and off we are just happy to have running water. 

I keep extra water jugs filled too so we can flush the toilet when the water is off at night and in case it should freeze up again although that doesn't seem too likely now.  My friend really knows how to insulate a pipe. 

I bought a small space heater for my bedroom since it was getting pretty chilly up front.  I'm trying to conserve propane by running electric heat.  I face the heater out to the main area and it heats up my room plus augments the main heater nicely.  They are plugged into separate circuits so we don't trip any breakers when they are both running.  I find I don't have to run the smaller one much, except when it gets down below freezing.  We are staying nice and toasty warm. 


Last week I discovered some moisture on the ceiling above my bed.  That was a huge concern, especially since we'd had no precipitation and we'd done a thorough inspection of the roof a month ago plus it had been inspected prior to my purchase.  I discovered it was actually caused by a buildup of condensation inside the cabinet along the roof at the front of the RV.  Once I wiped off all the moisture and allowed it to dry I watched it and all was fine.  Now I just leave one of the cabinet doors open and it stays dry inside.  Fortunately nothing was damaged by the moisture.  Just another one of those quirky things about air tight RVs. 

With winter coats out and extra jackets I needed a storage solution for that.  The end of the cabinet above our dinette proved to be the perfect place to install some hooks.  Now our coats have a place to hang, conveniently located next to the front door, and we are no longer having to shuffle them around.  We all decided that is the best thing we've done to this place so far. 


My youngest making rolls.
Topped with freshly whipped cream this pie was delicious!
 
We made it through Thanksgiving too.  Granted, this year we were guests somewhere else, but we made two pies and a pan of rolls to take to dinner in our tiny kitchen and oven and it was fabulous.  Christmas dinner will be prepared at home and will be our biggest meal prepared in our tiny home to date.  We have no doubts we can pull it off.  Figuring out where to put the Christmas tree is our biggest challenge right now. 

I'm sure by a lot of people's standards they probably think we are a little nuts and you know what?  I'm okay with that.  I don't regret my decision to live tiny one bit, because we are still having a lot fun!


2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are nuts, and am learning from you. We still have not picked up our RV and even then, we won't live in it full time. But we might someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always interested to read about your small space living. Do you plan to live there long term? I think I may have asked you once, but what is the coldest it gets there?

    That pie looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...