Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Our Pantry is FULL

 
Nothing gives me more pleasure or peace of mind than a well filled pantry.  Moving into our tiny home meant a lot of downsizing.  I admit I was more than a little concerned as to how that might translate into food storage. 

Everything is smaller.  Our pantry is a fourth of the size as our old one.  Our refrigerator and freezer are smaller too and we used to own two of them before, plus a freezer.  Now we have the one in the RV and a small dorm sized refrigerator outdoors which has proved to be a Godsend. 

When we moved in we had the basics in pantry supplies to get us started but for the most part we were starting over.  Without busting the budget I was hoping to fill our pantry and figure out a new routine for shopping, cooking and food storage.  Happily I find that it is pretty much business as usual.  I just do it on a much smaller scale. 

The area above the refrigerator houses my canned fruit and jams.  It is the perfect area to store them as it stays relatively cool up there and it is the perfect height to accommodate pint jars.  The pantry is fairly deep and holds a whole lot more than one might expect.  Overflow items like a bag of potatoes and extra flour reside on the floor of my daughter's closet. 

Now I plan to take advantage of bargains and sales to stock up on things and replace items we use.  Having a full pantry helps me to stay on budget and avoid the temptation of eating out.  I also like that it helps me to reduce my trips to the store. 

Do you feel better if you have a fully stocked pantry or do you just shop for what you need at the time you need it?
 
You may also enjoy revisiting a post about my Pantry List.

4 comments:

  1. I have never had a pantry. I think it is likely because growing up, my mom just bought what she needed and didn't stock up. I just I have just repeated what I learned. I have been stocking up on things like toothpaste and shampoo, sugar and tea bags, when I hit a really good sale. I am interested in having more of a stockpile. It seems like a really smart way to save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "I have just.." :)

      Delete
    2. Having my pantry stocked has definitely saved me a ton of money! I love it! :)

      Delete
  2. Yep we always have a fully stocked pantry. I sale and coupon shop so rarely pay full price for anything. Sometimes I have to stop myself from stocking up on a deal as we already have too much. That is the thing I find hard.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...