Monday, March 17, 2014

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


On Sunday morning I made whole wheat biscuits and sausage gravy using half a pound of sausage from the package I had browned up for our pizzas on Saturday night.

I baked a loaf of whole wheat bread and made a batch of homemade granola.

I printed off ten online grocery and pet food coupons from Coupons.com.

A friend of mine gave me her ads and coupons from the Sunday paper.  I clipped several coupons including another free item coupon with no purchase required from Harbor Freight.

On the way home from work on Tuesday I stopped at Walgreens with my collection of coupons and managed to pick up over three months worth of feminine hygiene products for $10.28.  I also bought five Easter candy items on sale and with coupons for $1.50 and a four pound bag of sugar for $1.89.  Price before coupons was $27.  I was very happy to have the coupons to save me so much money.

After Walgreens I stopped at the corner market to drop off an order to mail at the post office.  While there I also picked up a gallon of whole milk on sale for $1.88 and three and a half pounds of bananas from the markdown bin for $1.23.  They were brand new bananas and the only reason they were in there was because they were singles instead of part of a bunch.

I had three invitations to dinner last week which meant I only prepared about a third of the meals I originally planned.  One of  the invites was a potluck affair so I prepared a dessert and a salad using items I already had on hand.  I did pick up a package of raspberries for the dessert as I didn't have any of those.

Friday we cleared out the refrigerator and enjoyed a big leftover buffet supper.  I gathered up all the bags of leftover veggies in the crisper drawers and a handful of black olives left in another container and made a fabulous salad.  We even used up the last of our salad dressings.

I saved more containers to start seeds in.

I used a coupon at the grocery store to score two free candy bars.  They were on sale for 2/$1 and I had a coupon for a dollar off two.

I used funds from next month's grocery budget to purchase three corned beef briskets on sale for $1.99 a pound.  That will show up in the April tally. 

How was your thrifty week last week?

4 comments:

  1. Your week was very thrifty- you saved a ton between the coupons and sales! High Five!!
    This week I started making plans to plant a garden in our yard, we saved money by having our son's birthday/pizza party at home- we had the kids make their own pizzas and I made him a birthday cake instead of buying one, I mended a pair of my son's sweatpants that ripped instead of buying a new pair, I hung out blankets to dry on a sunny day instead of using the dryer, I shopped my own pantry before making a dinner plan and a friend of ours also told us about the Harbor Freight coupon that we received in Sunday's paper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work Dawn. Very thrifty indeed. Thanks to Harbor Freight the guys on my Christmas list are going to like their goodie bags this year. ;)

      Delete
  2. I got a brand new matching infant car seat and stroller for $60, regularly $180. I was very excited. And a coworker is bringing me her sister in laws old maternity clothes tomorrow (free). Very excited about that because I have very few clothes that fit and I can't justify spending the amount of money I find that most maternity clothes cost for something that will only be worn for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a fantastic deal on the car seat and stroller! So wonderful too about the clothes. I know what you mean about a lot of money to spend for a temporary wardrobe. Great news!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...