Monday, October 13, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


With my computer I made Christmas cards and invitations for a Halloween Party using cardstock and envelopes I already had on hand.

I made a small batch of black beans and one of kidney beans to put up in my freezer.  I like to have them on hand to add to recipes as I need them.

Using one of my 50¢ boxes of cake mix I made a cherry Jello-O Poke Cake to take to Bunco.  It was my turn to bring dessert so I made my favorite go-to recipe.  Light and not overly high in fat and calories.  Not to mention scrumptious.

I made another payment on my six months same as cash account using money I earned working overtime which makes three payments in one month on my furniture.  I worked another four hours of overtime this week too.

I added extra money to my savings account.


At the dollar store I found some things I needed on my grocery list.

Green olives
Jalapeno peppers
Marshmallow crème (for fudge at Christmas!)
Baking powder
Triaminic cold medicine
Maraschino cherries
Two graham cracker pie shells (to use for quick desserts when needed)

Plus a few other items:


I also found a really nice pair of lined jersey cotton work gloves to wear when we get ready to tackle some yard projects in the coming weeks.

I bought eight new wine glasses at the dollar store.  They are heavy restaurant quality and very nice.  Now I have plenty of stemware for when company comes over.

I picked up some party supplies too which I will be talking more about in another post.

I bought a pumpkin pie spice scented candle for the downstairs bathroom and a vanilla one for the living room.



I did not grocery shop this week.

I sent a letter to my aunt and printed it off on my own homemade Halloween stationery I made on my computer.

Using our Roku we watched three of our favorite shows for free on Hulu - Sleepy Hollow, Castle and The Goldbergs.

We finally got the rest of the trash cleaned up out of our front yard.  Our next door neighbor was kind enough to lend us one of their extra trash cans which saved me having to go and buy one.

How did you save money last week?



2 comments:

  1. You watch Castle too?!!! That is my absolute favorite show! I also discovered a great series called The Blacklist- if you like Castle you may like this one too. :)
    You had a really thrifty week! My week was good in the way that I didn't spend much money at all on groceries or birthday supplies for my lil girl. I went to the grocery outlet and just got what we needed plus a few other things that were really discounted. I got some things for my daughters b-day at the dollar store. And since we recently gave the kids a nice day out and bought them both Legos and a few other things we kept her b-day gifts small this year. We are also bringing in some extra income by subbing a second large newspaper route this month. Other than that all our entertainment, meals, etc. have been free and at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! I do watch Blacklist. In fact I need to get caught up and was thinking I'd watch it tonight. Sounds like you had a great thrifty week too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...