Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I went to Albertson's on Sunday morning to buy some meat that was on sale.  I used money from next month's grocery budget to pay for it.  I don't plan to use any of it this month.

For our Sunday dinner I took the leftover meat I had saved from last week's pot roast and made a pot of beef barley soup in my slow cooker.  I made the broth with the drippings from the roast, some vegetable broth I had saved in the freezer, water and a packet of brown gravy mix.  I added a quarter cup of barley and let it cook for about four hours before adding half a bag of peas and carrots.  I made a batch of homemade baking powder biscuits to go with it.  It was such a good meal.

I went to two stores on the way home from work to pick up a few items on sale for my HalloWine party.  Perfect timing because one store had a big wine sale going on plus some brands were offering rebates.  Because of that I was able to get some peanuts and candy corn on sale that I wasn't originally planning to get.  It was a real hit at the party

I worked some overtime this week.

I took my daughter to a friend's house and stopped along the way to put our water bill in the drop box so I could save a stamp.

I printed some online coupons for groceries.

I used a 50% OFF coupon at JoAnn Fabrics to buy 300 cupcake papers in super cute printed designs.  I paid for them using a gift card so they were no cost to me.

How was your thrifty week last week?


4 comments:

  1. You had a great week! My week pretty much evened out because we 'saved here' and 'spent there', know what I mean? :)
    I have never cooked with barley before but I have heard you mention it in other postings besides this one. I know it is a healthy addition to any meal but I am wondering- can you taste it when you use it in soups, etc.? You made me want to try it- I just don't know how well it will go over with the rest of my family if it has a strong flavor. I think I am going to just get some next time I am at the store and see if they even notice. Your soup and biscuit dinner sounds so yummy! :)

    PS- LOVE the cupcake wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley has a mild flavor like pasta. The texture is similar as well. My kids like it. :) I ready your post about your weekend and needed a nap afterward. You guys were busy! :)

      Delete
  2. The beef barley soup sounds yummy. I might have to try that some day. The pasta recipe you posted last week was a hit. Just one question, do you drain the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and then add the can of water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drain them. The ones I buy don't have a lot of liquid in them. If you think yours do I'd add less water. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...