Friday, October 10, 2014

Christmas Budget Update


At the beginning of the year I set our Christmas Budget.  A ridiculously low amount by many people's standards but by mine, not so much.  I took an envelope and labeled it "Christmas 2014" and every month I tucked a $10 bill inside.  Well it is now October and the envelope is now full of bills.  And the remains of a $25 JoAnn Fabrics gift card.

In order to make my $100 go as far as possible I am using my gift card, a birthday gift from a friend last year, to supplement my cash.  At the beginning of the year I used my credit card rewards points to order another $25 gift card to Bath & Body Works.  Late last spring I used it to purchase some things there to go with homemade gifts I am planning to give my friends.

We have also gone to Harbor Freight, a hardware store, to use free item coupons from the newspaper and stashed those in a bucket in my closet to add to another fun gift I am putting together.

Any food gifts we make will come from items we already have on hand in our pantry.  Lately I've been adding baking items to our grocery list every month so I will have plenty of ingredients in store when the time comes.  I am very much looking forward to the baking! J

To make my budget successful I will have to be resourceful.  I've been scanning Pinterest and other blogs to get plenty of ideas for everything from gift wrapping and décor to baked goods and handmade gifts.  I'm getting excited too as I prepare and get started.

The goal is to have all gifts done and ready to go by Thanksgiving Day, with the exception of food gifts.  I want those fresh, of course.

Have you started any preparations for Christmas yet?


2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! :) We have our Xmas $$ saved, i've bought a few gifts, but still need to make my list and transfer over our Xmas money to our main account. Once I make my list i'll divide up our Xmas savings and make lists... I also have over $100+ worth of points to use at a grocery store this year as well! That'll come in handy for Christmas dinner items & stocking stuffers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Carla! It feels good to have that $$ set aside for shopping doesn't it? Like you I need to firm up my gift list as well.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...