Friday, October 27, 2017

"Bedroom" Remodel


My latest project to do in the motorhome was to upgrade the upper bunk over the cab.  I managed to get the majority of it done before the weather changed so I thought I'd share with you what I have completed so far.  I plan to finish it up in the spring.



All RVs leak and at one time so did Laverne.  Fortunately the damage was relatively minor.  The previous two owners had repaired the roof and fixed those leaks, replaced the ceiling and most of the damage those leaks had created.  What remains is more hidden and superficial.




Narrow storage areas located on each side

The upper bunk had water damage in the front two corners, which is very common, and that is what I needed to repair.  None of the damage was structural, but it needed to be addressed.  The cushions that formed the bed were 30 years old.  The upholstery was starting to degrade as was the foam inside.  I removed the cushions and the storage dividers at the head and foot of the bed and then I got to work.

Passenger side

Driver's side - where the most damage was

Anytime you start a project like this you worry that you will find more damage than you initially expect, but not so this time.  It was actually less and while it looked bad once the demolition was completed it really wasn't.  I spend about an hour and a half and got that part done and all cleaned up.  All I needed was a screwdriver, my 5 in 1 tool (love that thing), a small trash can and the vacuum cleaner.

This wood came from the FREE WOOD bin near my work

Here's a tip.  Don't sit in this.

It ain't pretty but it got the job done

The next morning I replaced the missing wood in the corners and prepared it for some filler to not just fill in the gaps, but add additional strength.  I used Bondo for that part of the project.  Once it was dry I then cut out and covered the entire surface with a sheet of 3/8" plywood.   I sanded the curved edge with my sander to round it over and attached it with construction adhesive and some 1 1/4" screws.



There was a small hole in the wall where one of the curtain rods had been attached as well as another spot that looked like someone had accidentally put their foot into it.  I patched the holes and caulked all of the seams and screw holes.  Then I taped everything off, primed the walls and gave it two coats of the same paint (Beach Sand) I used in the bathroom.

Taped up and ready for paint
Notice my little patch on the right - cardboard, cardstock & Modge Podge

Amazing how paint transforms!

Looking good!

Rather than replace the cushions I decided to simply add some low pile carpet.  I found exactly what I wanted in the chocolate brown (my accent color) at Lowes and they were very happy to cut me a 5 foot piece off of a huge roll.



In the midst of this project we had a few days of rain and cold weather but once that cleared and the sun was out I was back to work.  I used a plastic trowel to spread out a small container of carpet glue and got that carpet down.  The glue needs at least 60° in order to properly set so I was anxious to get it down.  I used staples to reinforce the curved edge so it won't peel up.

Nice, new and clean.  Very happy with how it turned out.

Come spring I plan to add the sliding piece that will cover the curved area and support the bed.  I'll add some nice trim pieces along the edges of the carpet and I may even put a little chair rail across the front under the window.  New insulated window coverings are also on the list.  I want to get a nice memory foam mattress to put up there and I'll add some storage as well.

So still plenty left to do, but once it is all done it will be a very nice and cozy place to sleep.



24 comments:

  1. Wow, this all looks GREAT! You're making great progress on Laverne, she's probably feeling so much better! Isn't it fun working on her? I loved working on my trailer, Maizy!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. It is sooooooo much fun. I really enjoy it. Some day Maizy and Laverne will have to meet! :0)

      Delete
  2. It looks like you didn't have to remove any of the damaged wood - why is that? How does it work to just overlay good wood on top? I'm not a DIY-er and have never done a project like Laverne. Thanks!

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly. Look at the pictures again. I did remove the damaged wood first and patched it before I did the overlay. You wouldn't want to just cover it up. I was fortunate in that the damage didn't go into anything structural or else it would have been a much bigger job.

      Delete
    2. That makes much more sense! Thanks.

      - Molly

      Delete
    3. Oh good. I tried to explain it as best I could, but sometimes I don't make total sense. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Laverne looks great! How is it that whenever you do a DIY job it looks professional? I guess it takes patience and focus - things I need to work on ;) I would love to go on a road trip in Laverne!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Patience is definitely the key here. I really put a lot of thought into it, did a ton of research and took my time. I didn't used to be so patient and my results didn't always turn out like I expected. I'm getting better with age, ha, ha!

      Delete
  4. You amaze me. There is no project you don't tackle and do a fabulous job. Kudo's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job.. Laverne is looking better and better..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laverne looks great. Looks so nice and neat!!

    Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will suggest a piece of Reflectix in the useless window {front} to keep the sun out, keep it cooler, & warmer. Since we don't open the side windows, I put it there too. Then hung insulated curtains. We have a Fantastic fan in our above cab area & that makes a world of difference. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people do not like that window, but I really do, especially if I've got a great view. Nothing like waking up to see the beauty of nature in my opinion. They can get cold at night and I do have a plan for that. Thank you for the suggestions.

      Delete
  8. This was so inspiring. The pictures and details show how anyone, even me, could do a repair job like that. I am now encouraged to try and fix a broken stair banister rail. At present a quilt is nicely draped over the splintered rail but I think I can fix it now. I will try!
    Thanks.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Jeanne! You definitely can do it! Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  9. I was watching TinyHouse Prepper on you tube and they had a solution for water leaks in RVs. Worth a watch! You are awesome and have great girls!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...