Friday, October 13, 2017

Thanksgiving Dinner Plans


It isn't too early to plan for Thanksgiving, which happens to be my favorite holiday, and start your shopping.  Its only six weeks away!  Can you believe it?!

Last week I picked up a turkey breast on sale for 99¢ a pound!  I was super excited to get that and pop it into our chest freezer out in the garage.  I don't know why, but I'm always a little stressed about the main course and once I make that purchase I feel like I can relax.  I've got this.

You never know who might show up at the door

Not sure yet if there will be guests or just us this year.  But one thing I do know is there will be plenty of food!  Last year we traveled and spent the whole week with family.  We ended up going out to a very nice restaurant for dinner, something we've never done before.  It was very nice, but I am really looking forward to getting to cook this year.

As I was planning our menu I realized that I pretty much have everything we need to make a traditional Thanksgiving Day feast.  Happy days!  So although it is still six weeks away I thought I'd share with you what I have in mind.

Yeah, my turkey won't look anything like this

Roasted Turkey & Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing

Green Beans

Roasted Carrots

Homemade Rolls & Butter

Olives & Pickles

Cranberry Sauce

Pumpkin Pie & Whipped Cream

Birthday Cake

Best part of the meal!
Needs more whipped cream though

My youngest daughter's birthday is on Thanksgiving so we will have a double celebration that day!  Yaaaay!

Have you started making any plans yet?



16 comments:

  1. It'll be here before we know it! AND you get to have leftovers this year!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I am really excited about that. I think leftovers is the best part. Hee, hee.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've asked for a head count from my 4 kiddos . as well as input re the menu. only 1 has responded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They better get with the program or they get spaghettios! :0)

      Delete
  3. I have made tentative plans, but we are also considering going out for Thanksgiving dinner . If we eat here our meal will be similar to yours but with pecan rather than pumpkin pie and a chocolate roulage rather than birthday cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay we'll be stopping by to taste your desserts later that night, ha, ha!

      Delete
  4. This year we'll go to my daughter's home for Thanksgiving (12 hours away). Our younger grandson will be having his Eagle Court of Honor some time that week while we're there. Yay! I like to cook Thanksgiving dinner, so I know she'll be glad for the help. Our dinner is similar to yours. We usually have corn instead of carrots though. Pumpkin and Pecan Pies. And leftovers....we love leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful time and a wonderful meal. Time spent with your family is always special.

      Delete
  5. We usually host Thanksgiving and server a very traditional meal--turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green beans, etc. along with desserts. I guess I'd better start thinking about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy isn't it, that it is that time again? Traditional turkey dinners never fail to impress, I think.

      Delete
  6. My Thanksgiving will be massive. I will begin cooking and freezing at the beginning of the month so I can avoid being exhausted for the celebration. Usually the first step is to take every casserole dish out of the cabinet and figure how to fit as many as possible into the oven. Then I decide what goes in each bowl and begin cooking. But as I type this I realize this year I have a new refrigerator which is smaller. Maybe I need to measure my refrigerator first. I need to do some additional planning this year.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you share on your blog how this all comes together. I want to see that! Sounds pretty darn impressive to me. :)

      Delete
    2. My son Dustin is home because it is Fall break. I shared this with him and he had a wonderful solution. He said I should cook as usual and then after the meal put all the leftovers in smaller containers and freeze them so he can take them back with him to college.

      As for pictures on the blog, I would need to clean the oven and the refrigerator before I took pictures! Yikes! Right now I am trying to leave the sink clean and shiny before going to bed. I have not been successful. We snack before bedtime so there is always an empty glass of milk, teacup or popcorn bowl appearing in my clean sink. Dustin suggested we start leaving the dirty dishes in the living room at bedtime so the sink can stay clean.

      As I said, I need to do additional planning.

      Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Dustin is a smart man! I like his idea. And I crack up at you needing to clean everything before pictures. I feel the same but the reality is we ALL have a dirty refrigerator and oven, especially at the holiday. ;0)

      Delete
  7. Your menu looks so good! We do a family potluck type Thanksgiving most years. This year we are having a smaller one at our Chris and Heather's house. I know it will be them and the little boys, my cousin, us and possibly Jaysn and Rachel if they are not able to make it down to her mom and sister. There may be a few more. My contribution is all the paper plates and napkins (I got a bunch of cute Thanksgiving plates and napkins at Goodwill), the mashed potatoes and whatever else they want me to bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like wonderful Thanksgiving Day plans. I love that you found all of those fun plates and napkins at Goodwill!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...