Monday, May 20, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



So. Much. To. Do!

I had a lovely Mother's Day and I hope all of you mommies out there did too.  It was a busy one, but still very much enjoyable.  It started out with a list and a trip to Wal-Mart early that morning with my youngest to pick up more things for the graduation party.  On the way home we stopped at the mall to use my $10 OFF $10 Purchase coupon at JC Penney where I picked up a pair of denim shorts for only $7.99 out of pocket.  I haven't had a new pair of shorts in ages.


After lunch I went outside and grouted the tile top on the grilling station the girls and I had made the week before.  With it finished it only seemed right to test it out so later that evening we grilled up a couple rib eyes and declared this project a complete success.


I pulled out all of my serving bowls, platters and picnic ware to add to the pile of what I bought.  I made a final list of items to pick up last minute like produce and buns.  I stockpiled more ice in the chest freezer.

Monday after work I picked up the kid's prom pictures I had printed off at Walgreens.  They turned out pretty nice again this year.  I made two copies so each one of them had a set.  Total cost of prom pics came in at just under $5!  Including the photographer (me)!


Tuesday was insane.  It started with a doctor appointment first thing in the morning, a trip to Walgreens after work to pick up a prescription, followed by picking my daughter up from her violin lesson and stopping at Dollar Tree to pick up some last minutes party items.  While at Dollar Tree my oldest texted me to tell me her final band concert was in forty five minutes! Ahh!  That is just how crazy our life has been lately.

Wednesday it was time to start gearing up for the weekend, mainly the graduation party.  That morning I hard boiled a dozen eggs for potato salad, washed all of the bowls and platters I'd pulled out of the pantry and gathered up all the ingredients I needed for that evening's baking session.  After work we baked.


After work on Thursday I boiled.  After work on Friday I assembled.  Both days I watched it rain and hoped like crazy the weather forecast would be correct and it would stop raining by Saturday.

Saturday was the party.  I was up early and off to the store with a list for last minute items.  Once at home we I scrambled around decorating and setting up.  Fortunately, my daughter's boyfriend had arrived from out of town the day before so we had a second pair of helping hands.


As far as how the party went, check back tomorrow and I'll give you the scoop on that.

The chickens made out like bandits with all the cooking I was doing.  Loads of kitchen scraps to fill them up and keep them busy.  They were pretty happy about that.


I used ice cream buckets I've saved over the years to store food and baked goods.  I stockpiled more ice in one gallon Ziploc bags throughout the week.  I washed out all of those Ziploc bags once they were empty so we could reuse them.  No point letting all of those bags go to waste or to the landfill.

I added water to an "empty" jug of dish soap, gave it a good shake and had enough soap to wash dishes all week.  I also did that to a laundry detergent jug and we had plenty of soap to wash the bunny's blankets.  I used up the last of a bottle of shampoo that I'd set upside down in the shower a few weeks back so we got out every drop.  I added the truly empty bottles to our recycle bin.


We set out a full blue recycle bin at the curb for collection, but had no trash to put out.  I added a full collection container to the compost bin in our backyard - onion skins, coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells, banana and avocado peels.

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - wiped down the washer/dryer, vacuumed floors, cleaned the mirrors.  Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - vacuumed floor.

Kitchen -  vacuumed floor, cleaned microwave & range hood.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  The girls cleaned the bathroom.  Daily swish & swipe.

Other - three loads of laundry, vacuumed living room, hallway & entry.  Swept front porch.

How was your thrifty week?



4 comments:

  1. This is a great posting to read on a Monday morning. Gives me a push to get chores done this week! Just 15 minutes can make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm always amazed at how much I can get done in 15 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are feeling better! Can't wait to see party pics!! Your grilling station is cool. I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well thank you. The grilling station is fantastic. So happy with it. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...