Friday, May 17, 2019

Making A Candle



Last week I gathered up all of my leftover candle wax I'd collected from spent candles I'd burned last winter as well as some of my Scentsy pot wax I'd saved.  I put all of the similar scented wax pieces into a couple candle jars that still had wax in them and set them into my large slow cooker.  I added a couple cups of water and set it on high, then left it for an hour.  When I came back all of the wax was melted.

50 piece wick set includes sticky pads to anchor them in place

I purchased a wick set from Amazon for $6.98.  I decided to up my game a bit and I'm pretty sure I have enough wicks here to last me a lifetime.  I positioned one of the wicks in a clean candle jar.  I mixed all the melted wax together, careful not to let any bits of debris get in there, then poured it into the jar.  I left a little bit for a second pour.

This method holds my wick in place perfectly while the wax sets

I used a pair of table knives to hold my wick up straight until the wax cooled and hardened.  Then I heated up the remaining wax in the slow cooker for another hour and did my second pour to fill in the voids that are inevitable when making candles.

I recycled a tin wick base and reused it with the leftover piece of wick I trimmed off

After the candles was finished I trimmed the wick.  The piece of leftover wick was then inserted into one of the leftover wick bases from an old candle.  I used a pair of pliers to crimp it in.  Now I have a "free" wick to use next time so I'm more than sure these wicks I bought will last a good long time.

Warm pumpkin spice scent perfect for next fall

This is the first time I've tried making candles using my slow cooker and I love doing it this way.  Super easy and no fuss.  My candles aren't the prettiest, but they are nice smelling and I love to have them to burn on a cool evening.  Plus I hate to toss out all that good wax.  By saving it up to melt down and reuse I get to enjoy bonus candles.



8 comments:

  1. I make beeswax candles. To anchor the wick, I either use a part of a dowel, and "glue" the wick with tacky beeswax, or a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a timely reminder for me to gather my bits and pieces and get them melted to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have shredded leftover candle wax and used it my electric wax melters. I have also layered the shredded wax in old candle jars and burned them that way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!!! Makes me think twice about maybe buying used candles from thrift stores. It would be an easy way to collect more wax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I may be ordering some wax chips online and try making my own for fun.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...