Friday, May 31, 2019

Wrapping Up A Thrifty May



Amazingly, when the month began I still had half a tank of gas in the car.  As my oldest was gearing up to take her driving test (she passed) she did the majority of the driving in April in her car so I didn't use mine nearly as much as I usually do.  A big win for Mom!

May was a BIG month for us.  My oldest daughter graduated from high school, we had a big party for her and prepared for the big day.  We had company come, we started preparing for a family vacation and sadly one of us got really sick and ended up in the ER with loads of doctor appointments before and after to keep us hopping.  I haven't mentioned it until now because said person is incredibly private and doesn't want people to know about it so for now that is all I will say.  Prayers however are always appreciated.  Oh, and we did get the go ahead from the doctor to take our vacation.  Phew!


As per the usual I paid bills and contributed to savings at the beginning of the month, bought some groceries, not a lot, and managed to work some overtime each week to add a little more to the coffers.  It was very nice to have that option and I took it!  By mid month I filled up my car, paid the mortgage ahead of schedule and wrote a big check to the high school for summer dance camp for my youngest.  I did manage to add to savings as well, but not quite as much as I'd hoped.

The medical bills have just begun to pile up and I'll be tackling those in June.  For now I'm trying my best not to panic or get overwhelmed by it all.  It just isn't enough to be worried about the health crisis you are facing, then you get the financial part on top of it too.  I keep reminding myself this is why I have an emergency fund and to take deep breaths.  It will all be fine, it will all be fine.  Because it has to be.


I ended the month with some money in my pocket, most of my goals met and a daughter successfully graduated from high school.  Not perhaps the thriftiest month I've ever had, but certainly not the worst either.  We shall see what is in store for us in June.



25 comments:

  1. I hope she's okay. Thank goodness you have health insurance (it sounds like you do), but still I know the bills do add up quickly. You are excellent with your finances so you will be fine, try not to worry :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have insurance with a HUGE deductible. We don't have the best insurance, but at least we do have some and it does help that the usual and customary they can charge comes into play. Man it is crazy what they feel they can charge!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sweetie,
    So sorry to read about illness in your family. I will be praying for you all and will light a votive candle at church on Sunday.

    Love and hugs,

    Heloise XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heloise. I appreciate it very much.

      Delete
  3. You didn't actually say if the sick one is better. Hope so. You are so very good at being frugal, you'll figure it all out but I do understand about being concerned with big health care bills. They add up so fast. Do you have good insurance with your job? I know there is always a deductible. Praying for good health. One can't put a price on good health! Ask me how I know! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be, I'm sure. I appreciate your kind thoughts and encouragement. We do have insurance, but our deductible is high. We'll figure it out. We always do. :)

      Delete
  4. Wishing a swift recovery to your poorly family member. And well done to you for putting in the effort into filling up the emergency account so it was there to draw on when the emergency hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all will be okay. Take care, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell this private friend of yours that these things happen -- and they are NOT the End of the World. Ever. Just after our daughter's wedding last June, Husband ended up with a burst appendix, then shortly after had his gallbladder removed. Thankfully, our lower income kept them from charging us for everything. (I wonder if this could help you, as well. At the very least, ask for a discount.) So -- you pay a little at a time until the bill is covered. Add it onto your list...that way, you only have to deal with it when you're making the monthly payment. (And it does NOT have to be what the billing department suggests -- it can be less. I'm speaking from experience here.)
    Hope your special person is feeling much better, and starting to enjoy life again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. I'll comb through the bills and do just that.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear one of you sweeties had a health crisis. Hopefully things are looking up and you can stop worrying.

    You are so good with money, I'm sure you will find every little bit of aid that you are entitled to.

    Medical costs are ridiculous. Sometimes I almost wish we could go back and do the barter thing. Doc takes out the gall bladder and you pay him with a chicken or eggs...ahhhh the good ole days. :)

    Prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. We were just talking about that. I have plenty of eggs right now too! :)

      Delete
  8. Hope your family member is recovering and all good health will be restored. I am appreciative of being a Canadian, we so rarely have to pay out of pocket for our medical expenses. Of course we pay for it in our taxes but it's not as noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely fortunate to have the health care system you have. Ours is so crazy. I'm just stunned at what they can charge for some things.

      Delete
  9. Why do I feel like it is you??? I hope all is better. Prayers!! 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am fine. I feel like I've just worried everyone. So sorry about that.

      Delete
  10. You are all in my prayers for a healthy month ahead and a wonderful vacation trip. You all work so hard that a worry free month is well deserved! I will be looking forward to hearing about your great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tana! It will be a great month, I'm determined.

      Delete
  11. I’m so sorry to hear about this health crisis. I will pray for you and your family. I think you can set up a payment plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about this health emergency! But so glad you were able to take your trip. Prayers for speedy healing and wisdom on working out the financial part. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending good thoughts to your family member. I hope they are recovering well, and that you are able to get the health costs paid off quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...