Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Basil Pork


This is a recipe that my daughter in law taught me many years ago.  She is from Thailand and she "Americanized" it to use ingredients commonly found in U.S. supermarkets.  I'm sure the original version is much better, but this way is pretty good too.


Marinate to thinly sliced boneless pork chops in 1 Tbs. minced garlic, 2 Tbs. soy sauce and 1 Tbs. dried basil.  Massage these ingredients into the meat to combine well, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.



In a large pan or wok heat 2 Tbs. hot oil, add salt and pepper to the meat and toss to combine.  Saute meat until just about cooked through.  Add one thinly sliced onion and several thinly sliced mushrooms.  Once meat is cooked and mushrooms and onions are soft add remaining ingredients.



Stir in one can coconut milk, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 Tbs. soy sauce, 2 Tbs. fish sauce, 1 Tbs. dried basil, 1 package shredded coleslaw mix or equivalent in shredded cabbage.  Let simmer about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.  Adjust flavors to suit your taste.  Serve with steamed rice and garnish with sliced green onion sprinkled across the top.  Also very good with Sriracha or Thai chile paste.

Keeping mine Keto - no rice
So delicious!

This is a fairly easy recipe and it makes quite a bit so you'll have plenty of leftovers to enjoy later.  We love this recipe.

10 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'll have to wait to make it when my husband is out of town on business as he will not eat mushrooms or anything with fish sauce in it:( I love thai food. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you venture a guess as to how much meat this recipe uses? One-half pound? 12 ounces? Pork chops vary so much in size...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 12 oz of boneless pork this time. I've used more and I've used less, just what I've had on hand. Super flexible recipe.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...