Thursday, February 6, 2020

Less Technology



Another goal for me this year is to use less technology.  I think, on the whole, we tend to spend (waste) far too much time on our devices.  It used to be that television and the amount of time spent watching was our greatest concern.  But now it seems people are obsessed, especially with that darned cell phone.


I'm not a huge cell phone user so for me it was an easy thing to use it less.  I make a call or send a handful of text messages.  Occasionally I take a picture, but that is pretty much it.  It usually just sits in my purse until I need it.  I don't use it in the car except for the navigation system which I set and start before I even turn the key.  I am the epitome of hands free driving.  If you call me or text me while I'm in the car I won't answer.  You'll have to wait.  Usually quite a while.  Ha!


Laptops and tablets are my personal downfall.  I write a lot and watch Youtube quite a bit too.  So that is what I am working on this year.  Less time with my laptop and tablet and more time with real things and people.  I find I spend more time talking to my daughter (although I'm sure there are times she wishes I wouldn't, like when she is trying to do her homework), more time playing with and snuggling my kitties and I've had more time for crafting.  Lately I've been making Christmas and birthday cards as well as a few Valentines.  I even checked out some books from the library.  It has been well over a year since I read an actual book.


Do you struggle with too many hours spent with technology?  How are you with your phone?  Do you think you spend too much time or the right amount?


6 comments:

  1. You just nailed it! I do find I spend too much time on my ipad watching youtube too. I could definitely sew and make more things if I wasn't watching videos on how to sew/make LOL. On the flip side, music inspires me to "do" - clean, cook, sew, whatever. Maybe I need more pandora and less youtube??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned a lot and get a lot of inspiration on Youtube, but I do have to watch the amount of time spent on it too.

      Delete
  2. I did think I spent too much time on technology, particularly when I had my Kindle Fire. I frittered away hours, yes hours, on social media, games, and general web surfing. I also loved to put on ear buds, and watch a movie on Netflix with my Kindle. (Watching a movie alone, without kids questioning every scene is a joy of mine.) I realized about 5 years ago, though, how much time I was wasting, so I let it go in stages. I first deleted, yes deleted, all social media accounts. Then, instead of playing word games on my device, I bought myself a couple of puzzle books. Finally, my Kindle died, and I decided not to replace it. I do not have a phone--same thing--too much of a temptation. I feel as if I can't tell my kids to unplug and enter the real world if I am tethered to a device. I do miss having the Kindle as an easy reference for card layouts, recipes or quilt patterns, but honestly, reaching for a cook book, or my trusty recipe box is a lot quicker than looking for a recipe online. Besides, I like the tactile aspect of having directions on paper in my hand so I can make notes, etc. As for a navigational system--if I am going somewhere new, I first ask for a rough idea of directions from people at the location. Then, I Google maps, print it out, and make sure I am pretty sure of where I am going before I leave. I am insanely irritated by people who claim they can't get somewhere because they don't know how to get there. (Yes, my older kids' friends say things like this.) Technology has created a huge level of incapacitation of humanity in my opinion. I feel that we've taken something that is to enhance our lives and let it take over our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with your last statement. Technology was meant to enhance our lives, but we've definitely allowed it to take over and rule our lives.

      Delete
  3. I do agree, I find myself wasting an awful lot of time on my laptop. Then I discovered Twitter, and oh my goodness, can one get lost down a rabbit hole on that. I've been limiting my time to early morning and evening hoping to break that habit.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...