Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Simple Christmas 2020 - Update #1



We are ten long months away from Christmas and I'm totally okay with that!  Believe me, I am in no rush, LOL.  Nonetheless I have done a handful of things around here in preparation of the holidays.  I do find that preparing ahead and working on Christmas works much better for me.  Last year I was really more lackadaisical about it and that didn't bode well for me at all.  We weren't planning to exchange gifts initially and then at the last minute we decided we were going to after all and I wasn't prepared.  Not one bit.  I don't want any repeats of that this year.


So far I have tucked away $20 into our Christmas fund and haven't touched it.  In January we used grocery funds to purchase several containers of sprinkles, some decorating items and two packages of candy coating that was on markdown after Christmas.  Our baking bin is already well on its way to getting restocked for holiday baking.

I made more cards to add to my stash

In January I updated my Christmas card list and in the past two months have made almost two dozen Christmas cards to send out.  All of the cards were made with items I already had on hand in my crafting center.  Oh my gosh, do I ever love having all my craft supplies organized and stored on one space.  Makes card making a dream.  I used some of my card making scraps to make a half dozen more gift tags and added them to our gift wrap organizer.  Right now I have plenty of cards and gift tags for this year.  I plan to pick up a book of Christmas themed postage stamps sometime in November and that is all I will need to buy as far as sending Christmas cards goes.  Once again I have plenty of pretty paper to print out our annual letter on so that is covered as well.

My daughter found more fun sprinkles to add to our baking supplies

I started a preliminary gift list and jotted down some ideas I have.  Once again we will be doing food gifts for our extended family, friends and my co-workers.  I'm hoping to incorporate the supplies we need for those into our regular grocery budget so I free up the Christmas fund for stamps and gifts for my girls.  Also, I've started collecting all my freebie finds in a bag.  Several items are my Friday Freebies from Fred Meyer.  I think they will make for some fun and quirky stocking stuffers this year.

We found this decorating kit on markdown in January

We really did enjoy our modest Christmas last year.  Having a very slim budget meant we had to really think about what we bought each other and that made the gifts much more meaningful and appreciated.  I think, honestly, last Christmas was one of our better Christmases, especially because of the gifts.  It was really neat.

Food gifts are the best in my opinion

Have you done any Christmas planning or preparing yet or do you prefer to wait?



12 comments:

  1. I've decided to use up the scrapbooking supplies (the ones I haven't touched in a very long time) to make homemade cards for all holidays and Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration! Now I just need to find the time to start making them... ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Brooke! I made a bunch of birthday cards last month using up stuff I hadn't touched in eons. I found a slot of time and got those creative juices flowing. So much fun!!

      Delete
  2. I am tucking money back too for Christmas. I have several ideas for making a few things, now I just have to get motivated to sew/make them. I am always looking for new ideas. I have been trying to jot them down in my planner when I think of something. I have a list of things that work as stocking stuffer/basket ideas too that I am always adding to. I think a modest Christmas is a great idea and necessary for us this year. Our medical expenses will like be high again this year and I need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Candace. I have no doubt you will be able to make Christmas wonderful. Like you we have high medical expenses. I'm still paying on last year, trying to get the emergency fund built back up and get prepared as best I can for any new expenses that may come up. Medical issues can be so unsettling all the way around. Praying for healthy children for us both. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post! I got "burned" many years ago by everyone agreeing to a more simplified Christmas. But then, the Christmas movies started & the ads came on and everyone wanted a more elaborate holiday. Lesson learned the expensive way. Now I have a "baseline" holiday. Cards are sent, house decorated, gifts and good things to eat. It has worked out well, because everyone knows that to expect. If that make sense. Thank you for all your inspiration...Lilli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have it worked out perfectly. When did the demands and expectations of gift giving get so out of hand? Give me a cookie and a hot cup of coffee and I'm good to go!

      Delete
  4. I have started putting away a bit and buying a bit when the price is right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to start saving for Christmas but the funds are kind of tight. Right now I’m trying to save for emergencies plus a medical deductible fund to cover what our deductibles are ($4890) vacation and Christmas. Gonna be tough. Our tax refund will help with the EF and vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me right now. I've got many places I'm trying to funnel my money. We can do it!!

      Delete
  6. I have started making my list and keeping an eye out for bargains.I happened to find men's toiletry bags with trial size products inside marked down from $9.99 to $2.50 for the teen boys and guys in the family. Also walmart just marked down all their fuzzy slipper Sox for women to $1 down from $5, 3 packs of nail polish for $1 and foot spa soak 5 pack for $1 looks like all the teen girls and women will be getting those "gift packs" ...if I am diligent I think I can get nice gifts on the little budget I have set myself for this year. Love all your ideas and inspiration ...thank you for sharing your life with us ! Gaila in the NW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found some great markdowns! I love when I can come across those things for mere pennies and just tuck them away.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...