Friday, February 28, 2020

Wrapping Up A Thrifty February



February turned out to be a great month.  I had budget extra money for gas in January because my daughter had two out of town dance competitions to attend.  I filled my tank on my car at the end of January and miraculously managed to make it last the entire month!  I also had $91 left in my checking account so I was able to add that to my paycheck on the 5th which included an extra day on it as well as quite a bit of overtime.  I definitely felt I was starting out the month with a good footing.

I was super thrifty with my fuel

With my first paycheck I took care of all the savings goals I had budgeted for as well as paid the usual monthly expenses - heat bill, car payment, medical bills and groceries.  With my second paycheck I hit the savings goals once again, paid our mortgage well ahead of schedule and the water bill.

I received my state refund already and deposited it into my savings account

I filed my income tax returns at the end of last month and received my state refund which I deposited right into my savings account.  I also received a refund from my daughter's doctor's office for an overpayment and I deposited it back into our emergency fund.  Now I am eagerly waiting for my federal tax refund to arrive as I have pretty big plans for what I'm doing with that money.

I feel like I have made a lot of really good financial decisions so far this year

Additionally I received a pay raise at work which is a long time coming and is going to make a huge difference for me financially.  I am very much looking forward to restructuring my budget and financial goals once that comes into play beginning in March.

I sold some old inventory I've been storing in our garage

To earn more income the girls and I have been very busy listing items to sell on eBay.  I pulled a large amount of old inventory from our garage and began grouping items together, taking loads of pictures and listing them for sale.  Most of what I've posted to sell has sold too.  We are planning to continue doing this to earn extra money and get our medical bills from the prior year paid off.

The girls have been going through their toys and making some decisions

So while the month of February may have the fewest days we did really well making each one of those days count.  I am absolutely thrilled with the progress we have made so far and excited to see what happens next month.


6 comments:

  1. Good job! I need to sell a few things, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to get things out of the house and make a little $$ in the process. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been doing so much better with food waste and eating leftovers since. Reading your blog. Want to try my hand at Batch and meal prepping soon. Thanks for all your insight. It makes me look ata lot of t hings differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me. I love it when we can inspire each other. :o)

      Delete
  3. You've motivated me over the last few weeks. My goal was ZERO food waste. Yippee! Not a single morsel of fresh veggies went into the compost pile. We also ate out very little. Our total food expenses for February were less than 1/2 of last years average! I'm stoked for March :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fantastic Elle! February was great, but I'm going to try and do even better in March as well. We've got this!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...