Monday, June 8, 2020

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I slept in until 8:00 Sunday morning.  A storm during the night put my deck plans on hold so I switched gears and worked on my prepper pantry instead.  Armed with a freshly brewed pot of coffee I got to work with my vacuum sealer and was able to fill up another box with items I've been collecting at the grocery and dollar stores.  I filled up my dehydrator with chopped onions and set it up in the garage and added the oxygen absorbers I ordered and received the week before to all my jars of dehydrated food.

The new bed my daughter purchased

Once I was done I went with my daughter to see her new home and do the walkthru with her.  I met her roommate and got a tour of the house they will be sharing.  She is very excited about the move and I am really happy for her.  It has been nice to have her at home this spring, but it will also be nice to have her out on her own again too.  While we were there we unloaded a carload of her things and then headed back in time for a quick lunch before both girls left for work.


Sunday I vacuum sealed quite a few items for the prepper pantry

I spent the remainder of my day puttering about the house doing a good tidy up of the house and finishing up some reorganizing I had been working on the previous week.  By the time I was done I was quite pleased with all the progress I made and felt ready to return to work on Monday.  As ready as one can be anyway after enjoying a solid week at home.  I do so love my little home.


 

I thawed three boneless pork chops and used two of them, thinly sliced, to make a curry with a stir fry veggie mix I found on markdown at Fred Meyer.  I used the third chop later in the week and thinly sliced it to make Coconut Curry Soup, which I absolutely love.  Both of those dishes kept me well fed for several days last week.


Thinly sliced pork.  The curry was fantastic!
 

Monday I ran the dehydrated onions through my mini food processor to chop them up a bit more and was able to top up a quart jar I had in the pantry.  I then refilled the dehydrator with more onions I chopped up as well as three bell peppers I'd found on markdown ten days before.  Tuesday evening I ran the onions through my food processor and started filling another quart jar adding in an oxygen absorber.  I added the bell peppers to another jar I had started to keep those in.

 

She found this rug on Facebook Marketplace for $30
Once we finished cleaning it it looked good as new!

My daughter's are becoming super savvy shoppers.  Tuesday evening my oldest found an area rug for her new living room on Facebook Marketplace for $30.  They went to pick it up and the lady selling them the rug gave her a really nice piece of wall art to go with it for free.  Both girls were so excited when they got home.  We stayed up until almost midnight shampooing her new rug so it could dry overnight and be ready to move into her new place on Wednesday.  It is a gorgeous rug and cleaned up beautifully.


The new rug in her new living room


The girls moved most of my oldest's things over to her new place as they both had the day off.  They even enrolled their grandpa to give them a hand moving her new bed and mattress.  Once I was off of work they got me to go shopping for "fun stuff" with them.  We went to a couple thrift stores and then Wal-Mart.  She was able to purchase throw pillows for the couch, a mattress cover, shower curtain and rings, bath mat and curtains for her bedroom window, all for less than $60.  At home we washed the mattress cover and throw pillows as they came from the thrift store and then she headed over to spend her first night in her new home.


Her new bathroom set, very pretty


Thursday morning I was up at first light cleaning and tidying up downstairs.  I gathered up several items belonging to my oldest and started a pile for her to take home.  It is very easy to leave little things behind.  She is so excited about her new home and I am very happy for her.  I'm also relieved to know that she now has a solid place to stay while attending college and we won't need to worry about housing.  The dorm situation definitely didn't work out too well for the students this year due to the pandemic.  In the long run this will save her some money over what they charge for the dorm fees too.  Win-win in our books.



Friday I stopped by Fred Meyer after work just to see what I might find on markdown and to pick up some granola bars and salad dressing they had on sale for 99¢ each if you bought five.  I wanted the granola bars to add to my prepper pantry.

 

This table belonged to her roommate and was slated for the trash
My daughter brought it home sure that I could fix it and transform it

When I got home I began work on my next project.  I'll be sure to let you know how that went.  I finished it up on Saturday after doing a little grocery and thrift store shopping with my girls.  We found quite a few nice items for really good prices included two full size quilt bats for $1.99 each.

 

Quilt bats for $1.99!  Whoo hoooo!

My daughter found this set of Revereware at a thrift store for $16! 
She will have it the rest of her life

I needed to pick my youngest up from work since she had the late shift and I didn't want her riding her bike home in the rain and that late.  I decided to make my trip really count and used up a bunch of digital coupons I'd downloaded to my store rewards card.


 

I found several package of meat on markdown last week

I picked up several well discounted items along with a free bottle of marinade and several packages of marked down meat.  I had also downloaded a $5 OFF coupon which lowered my total even more.  It was a very thrifty shop and my daughter got a ride home from work.

I got this marinade for FREE! Yay!

I darned a sock.

 

I prepped this on Saturday morning

Prepper Pantry = Dehydrated onions & bell peppers.  Vacuum sealed pancake mix, pasta, rice packets, hot cereal, pinto beans, split peas & granola bars.

My Dollar Tree haul


Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - tidied up & vacuumed floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Dining Room - vacuumed floor & cleaned light fixture. 

Kitchen -  vacuumed & spot mopped floor, bleached sink, cleaned range hood & stove. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - vacuumed & dusted.  Scrubbed sink.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - two large loads of laundry, vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & entry.  Swept front porch & garage.

 

How was your thrifty week?

 


8 comments:

  1. I am aiming for a "no spend June," week one was good. Only three more to. The goal is except for bills, no spending - no credit card purchases, no taking money out of the bank.

    This is to make up for April & May. Totally out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the best with your no spend month. You can do it!

      Delete
  2. You are such a savvy shopper.
    When our 2 kids were in college, they never even considered living in dorms, rentals worked better much for them.
    My thrifty things have been using what I have to home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The college requires their first year students to live in the dorms or at home. Then she had to petition to live off campus and was denied! That made me really mad. So I let them know my thoughts on the situation and they reversed their decision. She is a grown adult woman and I never should have had to get involved.

      Delete
  3. What went into the reason to deny her permission to no live in dorms? What was the free wall art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't give a reason, which thoroughly irritated me.

      Once she gets it hung up I'll post a picture of it.

      Delete
  4. I had some really old revere ware pots. The copper bottoms clean up really good with a damp sponge and barkeepers friend cleaner. The looked brand new after 35 years. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stuff is amazing. I use it on my Revereware too and it really does make them look like new. Even if you burn some stuff onto the pot, it takes it right off.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...