Friday, June 5, 2020

Financial Management - Using Credit Wisely



Using credit wisely can be a struggle for a lot of people.  Currently I am coaching my oldest daughter to use her credit wisely and teaching my youngest the same thing.  Most people are never taught anything about using credit and what it all means.  In order to have borrowing power you have to know the proper way to handle your finances and that includes using your credit cards.


Recently my daughter applied for and received her first credit card.  She got it through our credit union and has a very small limit on it.  It is the perfect amount to learn with.  I suggested she use it initially for fuel purchases at the gas station and a handful of other small purchases at the store.  But!  Don't spend more than you can afford to pay off when the bill comes due.  She paid it and was thrilled the next time she checked her credit score to find it had jumped up several points.  Then next month she linked it to her Amazon account and also used it to renew her phone service.  She will pay that off when the bill comes due as well.  As she continues to do this she will establish herself as a responsible consumer that pays her bills on time and her credit score will rise and reflect that.  The goal for her is to someday purchase a home of her own and she wants to not only qualify for a mortgage, but to qualify for the best possible interest rate on that loan.


I use my credit card to purchase darn near everything.  I track my spending so I don't overspend and when the bill comes due I pay it in full.  My card allows me to earn rewards points and I save them up until I have enough to cash them in for gift cards I use for various projects around our house.  Many a project has been completed with those gift cards.


I also have a PayPal account and a Home Depot account that allows me use of their credit for six months at a time interest free.  I always make sure when I use these accounts that I get them paid off in full before the end of that timeframe so I don't pay any interest.


I don't mind using other people's money at no cost to me and save my own.  If I can get an interest free loan that allows me to incorporate payments into my regular budget then I'm all for it.  While I am not the type of customer most creditors prefer as they rarely earn any money from me I am also one they prefer because I don't default on my payments either.


Having a high credit score and responsible payment history allowed me to obtain a 0% interest auto loan a few years ago.  Can you imagine paying for a car over time and essentially paying no more than the actual cost of the car?  That is what I did until this year when I decided I didn't want the monthly payment anymore and paid it off in full.


Using credit can be a burden and if you aren't careful it can get you into a lot of trouble.  But used wisely it can become one of your greatest assets.  Be smart.  Stay out of debt.  Use it in moderation and pay it off right away.


6 comments:

  1. This was an extremely well-written post... good for you! Practical and informative, without pushing any particular card.
    We have used a few cards over the years -- more than one. One card has benefits when used overseas. (It gives you the current exchange rate, rather than fudging to get maximum $$ for the credit card company.) Another (Discover) is not always accepted; we have found this especially true in the southern states. With only a very few exceptions over nearly 40 yeqrs, we also pay off the entire amount each month. Not only does it make you more cautious about your spending -- I too use the points to pay for goodies -- and to take the edge off the bill by crediting the amount.
    We never pay an annual fee.
    We never keep a card that doesn't benefit us, as well.
    We also have used the six-months-free-interest offers. Works great -- IF you make the payments.

    We tried very hard to teach this to our daughters. Unfortunately, one continues to keep a small balance on her card -- and yes, she pays interest on it. Drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I'm definitely not against using credit as long as you use caution and don't get in over your head.

      Delete
  2. I have two credit cards. I have never paid annual fees on either. Both cards are set up so the balances are paid in full - the money is taking from my bank account. So I make sure, I don't charge more than I can pay. Both cards give me 1% back as a reward. I don't make purchases based on the reward. While I use to believe the credit card companies didn't make a dime off me, it was pointed out they charge the merchants over 2% to use the card. So they ARE making money every time I use it. It's fine with me. I love the convenience of paying with the card and the reward I earn, isn't bad either. I love how you are helping your daughter to establish and use credit. I learn it on my own. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a former business owner I can attest that the credit card companies make A LOT of money from the amount they charge the merchants. I don't feel the slightest bit guilty when they don't collect interest or fees from me.

      Delete
  3. I have one credit card that I use for online purchases only. It has always been paid off each month.

    My husband has a Bass Pro Shop credit card that we use for big purchases and he earns points. He cashes them in for bullets so the boys can target practice for free.

    My youngest son has an Amazon card that pays him 5% back on Amazon purchases. We all charge Amazon items to his account, then immediately email my husband the amount and item, he transfers money from everyone's bank account into young son's account, and then he gets to spend the earned money. He has bought many things for free. He gets the points, we get free shipping and all are happy. The downside is that he gets phone texts whenever there is any activity on any of his accounts. He will be sitting at work, get a text and then tell the guys, "Wonder why I just bought a pair of ladies house shoes?"

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "he cashes them in for bullets" Love it! LOL You guys have a great system in place. Pooling your resources. Good for you.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...