Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Prepper Pantry - Canning Jams & Pancake Syrup


If you have never been into canning, but you are thinking about giving it a try then jams and jellies are the best way to test the waters.  That is how I got started many, many moons ago.  I was in junior high Home Ec class when we uses Welch's grape juice to make jelly, along with a lot of sugar and some pectin.  We poured it into hot jelly glasses taken from the oven, sealing it with melted paraffin wax. I was instantly hooked on canning.

 


For a very long time all I ever made was a variety of jams and jellies until a neighbor showed me how to make pancake syrup.  My repertoire was instantly expanded and I added homemade syrup to my list.  Later I would tweak the recipe to make fruit flavored syrups by boiling and mashing berries.  I'd strain the pulp and use the remaining liquid in place of water for my recipe and it worked like a charm.  I still do this today.

 

A big batch of strawberry rhubarb jam

Last month I happened upon a good sale on strawberries at about $1 per pound.  I purchased four pounds which yielded enough berries for two batches of jam as well as some for snacking.  I used rhubarb from our yard to make a batch of strawberry rhubarb jam and another batch of strawberry cabernet jam by adding in a cup of wine at the end.  A fun twist to a recipe, I think, and I love how the wine enhances the flavor of the berries.

 


My collection of quilted jelly jars as well as a collection of oddball half pints was given a wash in the dishwasher to clean and sterilize them.  After topping each jar with a sterilized lid and a ring I water bath canned my jams by boiling them for 10 minutes and then removing them to cool on a folded towel.  Listening for the ping as they seal is very satisfying.

 


I also used some frozen blueberries I had in my freezer, boiling them down in a cup of water until they released their juices.  I gave them a good going over with a potato masher and then poured the whole mess through a sieve.  I was left with a good cup of rendered blueberry juice which I combined with two cups of sugar and boiled to make pancake syrup.  I also used Mapeline flavoring to make a couple batches of maple flavored pancake syrup as well.

 


I poured each batch of syrup into glass Snapple bottles I've had for years and added the caps which seal as the boiling syrup cools.  Once cooled I labeled each bottle and jar of jam and added them into my pantry.  I also gave some to friends and my oldest daughter for her new home.

 


Preserving jams, jellies and syrups is an excellent way to enhance our food stores.  It is also a great item to use if I ever find myself in a bartering situation and need to trade for something I might need, but don't have.  It also makes a wonderful gift to give to a friend or family member.


2 comments:

  1. Do you know how I make pancake syrup? I fail to get jam or jelly to gel. Then, I call it syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use Snapple bottles, or Starbucks' Frappucino bottles for my fruit syrup! I thought I was the only one. (I just don't like syrup in a half pint jar--it doesn't pour properly, does it?) I've made loads of blackberry syrup (we are on a constant battle to keep the blackberries from overrunning our property, so I don't feel bad about sacrificing the fruit for the juice) strawberry and peach syrup. Blackberry is still our favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...