Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Prepper Pantry - Sizes, Measurements & Containers


 

I thought today I would go over why I am prepping things the way that I am.  In particular when it comes to the sizes of items I am prepping.  For starters I am prepping with the idea that I will always need to feed two people.  I know in my life from here on out there will always be me and one other person to feed so I want to prep accordingly.  Even though currently there are three of us in the house I am doing my prepping for two people long term.


I use a lot of canning jars for my short term food storage.  I like to use the half gallon Mason jars as canisters for rice, beans and pasta.  They are great for flour and sugar too.  Since I personally do not eat a lot of these items I am scaling my short term storage down to quarts, pints and half pint sizes depending on the item.  With that in mind I am prepping my vacuum sealed items in increments that will fit into those sized jars when opened.


Two cups of beans, rice or popcorn will fit very nicely into a pint jar.  Four cups will fit into a quart jar.  Two cups of chocolate chips will fit into a pint jar and provide me with enough to make two batches of cookies.  A pint of popcorn will yield four large bowls of popped corn, while a quart jar will give me eight.



Dehydrated foods are being stored in gallon, half gallon, quart and pint jars depending on their bulk and size.  While dried apples are my bulkiest item and fit best in my larger jars, green peas and blueberries are tiny and work very well in pint jars.  Some will be vacuum sealed for longer term storage but in measured increments to fit into canning jars once they are opened for use.



A lot of my dry goods are measured out into food safe paper bags, then tucked inside of the plastic bag before they are vacuumed and sealed.  This keeps the integrity of the bag intact minimizing the risk of a puncture, helps keep it clean so it can be reused and has the added benefit of keeping out light which allows the food item to last even longer.  I can also write on the paper bag, add labels, cooking instructions, etc.


I did not want to vacuum seal an entire ten pound bag of rice when I know it would take me a long time to eat that much rice and increase the risk of it going bad.  Smaller increments, although it takes much more time to prep it that way, seems like a much wiser choice for me.  While what I am doing may not make sense to some it might to others so I thought I would share it with you.  As long as it makes sense to me and feels right then that is the way for me to package my long term storage.


6 comments:

  1. Honestly it doesn't make sense to me but as you said, it does to you so more power to you. I can tell you are a very energetic person! I have lived 72 1/2 years so not too worried about not enough food and my job is still secure. I've also always had health insurance- from my parents until college graduation and my first job as a teacher and then on my husband's family plan. I consider myself to be privileged. If my mom and granny were alive today, I'd surely ask their help in canning. That is one thing I've never done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should all do what feels right and makes sense to us. Doesn't have to make sense to everyone. ;o)

      Delete
  2. Love the article where do you get the food safe paper bags and the white lids for your canning jars? Also are lids short term only not able to vac seal. Keep up good work. Joyce pa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the bags and lids at the grocery store. To vacuum seal you would use canning lids and rings.

      Delete
  3. I found it was hard to mentally adjust to freezing in packs for just two of us, after 30 years of having male kids with male kid appetites in the house (Extended kids living in the house happens when you have a caboose child)
    I finally got it figured out and now everything is sealed in 2 people amounts, though I do make sure Mose have enough for one lunch leftover meal.
    I am going to use the paper bag inserted into the plastic prior to sealing. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been difficult to scale down my regular cooking too. I do think the prepper pantry is definitely helping me to adjust and look at things much differently. Funny how things tend to work out. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...