Friday, June 26, 2020

My Thrifty Grocery Budget 2020 - June


This month was a little bit different for me as far as my regular shopping.  As you know I've been really focusing on putting together a prepper pantry and using only extra cash I'm earning by working overtime hours to finance it.  That has been working very well and takes up most of my spare time too.

 

I found quite a few markdown items including some meat

This month I only needed to pick up fresh produce and dairy items as we are currently working off of our pantry and freezer items I put up last year.  I really want to make sure we use up the frozen meats and veggies so they don't succumb to any freezer burn.  Because of that I haven't needed to purchase much so I didn't bother to track it.  I gave myself $100 budget and when it was gone it was gone.  I still have about $40 left but no need to use it so I'll just hang onto it until I do.

 


In the meantime I've exhausted all of my extra cash on prepper pantry items so until next payday I'm done shopping for the time being.  I'm sure this isn't a terribly exciting post, but my grocery shopping this month hasn't been all that exciting lately.  We've been keeping our meals pretty simple and using up what we have to minimize any waste.  Not a bad position to be in at the moment so I'm feeling pretty grateful about that.

 

Small budget friendly hauls this month

How have you been fairing at the grocery store this month?  Any great sales?

 

 


10 comments:

  1. I feel as if I haven't been faring well at the grocery store this month. Actually, that's probably because I haven't gone to the store very much this month. The sales have been less than stellar, so I haven't felt the urge to make a trip. You see, we have only one store on our island, which I go to in an "emergency" (allergy medicine, wine, ice-cream...you know, REAL emergencies, tee hee) or if there is an advertised sale--typically they have great meat sales. The other stores require me to drive across the bridge and into "town" which is not something I do not do without good reason. When I was driving the kids to school in town, it was nothing for me to swing by the Kroger family grocery store on the way home if the mood struck me, and see if there were any clearance items. That always resulted in a peek at Grocery Outlet which was conveniently located across the street. Sometimes I'd walk out empty handed, other time, with my cart loaded. (Those $0.08 deals are a treat!) Since I'm not driving kids to school, I am not in the area, so I haven't been going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sales are definitely hit and miss these days. I am so glad you put ice cream on the emergency list. It really is important!

      Delete
  2. We have spent a little more this month than we did in May, but it was mainly on some stock up items. Aldi had rack of lamb at an incredible price for lamb, so I bought three. They were processed and out in the freezer in portions for the two of us. I also stocked up on several chicken and cheese sales this month. Since it is the beginning of fruit harvests locally I am also buying a lot of fresh fruit and freezing it for TheHub's smoothies. The extra costs right now will be more than made up for later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for spending a little more to stock up and save $$ money later. Especially for winter when heating costs are high.

      Delete
  3. Grocery shopping doe not have to be exciting? You do well and spend wisely. That is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right. But I must admit I get really excited when I find a really great deal and don't have to spend a lot of money to load the cart.

      Delete
  4. I found myself getting more convenience foods. More expensive than cooking from scratch. But the weather is warming up and I just don't feel like cooking. But I made some good choices.

    I am limiting myself to money I have on hand. I can't use the credit card or take money out of the bank this month for food.

    So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job Connie! Sometimes you need to just keep things simple. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...