Monday, April 12, 2021

Last Week's Thrifty Moves

 


This is not going to be like my regular weekly post because last week was anything but my normal routine.  Not at all what I was expecting.  But, thankfully, all is well right now and that is the most one can hope for.  Sorry if this is a little too long, but I needed to get some things off my "chest".  Ha, ha, ha.

 


Sunday was Easter and we had a lovely day beginning with small gifts and a wonderful brunch of French toast and breakfast sausages.  I gave each of my girls a vintage Campbell's Soup Cookbook and a chocolate bunny.  They gave me dark chocolate and some black licorice.  The black licorice is definitely not Keto, but a nice treat on occasion nonetheless.  I sure hope you all had a nice Easter.

 


I spent the day on various tasks around the house, did a little bit of sewing and prepared a lot of delicious food.  It was almost like Thanksgiving.  I roasted a chicken with carrots and broccoli, sautéed green beans with onions and sliced mushrooms, fixed some rice for the girls and made gravy using the pan drippings.  I had made deviled eggs earlier in the day and we also put out a can of black olives.  My youngest made dessert by whipping up a quick Keto vanilla mousse and we had that with fresh strawberries.  My oldest was able to come for dinner and we were very happy about that.  It was a short visit, but we enjoyed seeing her so much.  A very lovely Easter Sunday to be sure.

 


Monday was like any other day, but Tuesday threw me for a complete loop when I had another heart attack at work.  It was mild and I immediately called my cardiologist's office before heading off to the ER per their instruction.  No one at the ER suspected I had actually had another heart attack because I looked good and my age as well as the fact that my EKG appeared normal, but the resident on duty said he had a gut feel about it and sure enough when my blood work came back I had kicked off those enzymes that show up in the bloodstream whenever your heart sustains damage.  The cardiologist on duty was a woman (she is now my new cardiologist) and she didn't mess around.  They admitted me and she got to work to figure out what the heck is going on with me.

 


Wednesday morning at 3:00 a.m. I had a mother of another attack and I was super happy to be in the hospital and not at home.  It hurt!   And my neck was so stiff.  I also had a bad reaction to the nitrous patch they had placed on my chest and had a murderous headache.  It was so bad they gave me fentynil for the pain.  That stuff works, holy Hannah! 

 


Wednesday and Thursday was all about tests and my new cardiologist is digger!  She was determined to find out the cause.  She did an angiogram and searched for blood clots and checked for a possible blockage on Wednesday morning and was mildly surprised that she didn't find anything.  But based on my health and blood work results she said not completely.  So she sent me for a CT scan and kept digging.  Between the cardiologist and the internist (also a woman) they began to come up with some ideas and an MRI Thursday confirmed that I had a viral infection to my heart muscle.  After my first attack on January 30 I came down with a mild head cold a week later, but because I had a tiny amount of damage in my heart the cold virus settled in and made itself right at home.  Over time it just stayed there and wreaked havoc until it did enough harm to cause me to have the attack at work on Tuesday.  So secondary circumstances to the first one.

 


So why did I have the first heart attack in January?  Good question!  And ironically, not because of the electrical issue, but rather another issue entirely.  When I was 19 years old, almost 20, I had a stroke.  At the time no one was ever able to determine why that happened, it was a mystery.  I recovered with minimal damage, or so I thought, and over the years I have done quite well.  However, not only do I have the ischemic markers in my brain, but also there are some in my heart, which apparently will happen.  Who knew?  Not me.  And then as time goes on that damage in the heart starts to cause problems especially once a woman is post-menopausal.  That would be me right now.  Never in a million years would I have thought that even possible.  But there it is.  Prognosis at this time remains unknown and we just have to wait and see how I do in the next few months.

 


Friday afternoon they cut me loose and I was super happy to finally get to go home.  I immediately went home and jumped (not really, carefully stepped) into the shower.  Best shower I've ever had!!!  It felt so good to get all the hospital scrubbed off and then to put on my comfy clothes.  I spent my afternoon with lots of cuddle time with my kitties.  Best medicine right there, let me tell you.  When my daughter got home from school we took a short walk in the fresh air and sunshine and I got her all caught up on the latest events and what my stay was like.  Then we had a little dinner and watched a movie from our home DVD collection.


Chicken salad (using up leftover roasted chicken)

Saturday morning I woke up after a really good night of sleep and felt even better.  I hadn't slept at all the first two days in the hospital so my sleep deficit was pretty significant.  The only "chore" I had to do all day was to go to the pharmacy and pick up my prescriptions and then to rest and recuperate.  That is pretty much what I did too.  I did do some modifying of my recent meal plan and made one specific or me.  Although I think I do a really good job on my meals I thought I'd tweak it some and see if I could improve on it a bit.  Let me know if you are interested in know more about what I am planning to do.

 


I am off work for a little bit and in full on rest and recovery mode.  I have several appointments coming up and I am hopeful for good news and an excellent prognosis because, darn it, I have stuff to do!  At least now we have some answers and ones that make sense too.  Hopefully I'm not sharing too much, but that is currently my life at the moment.  I know a lot of you have your own heart and health issues and have found my situation to be of help. 

 

Breakfast

THINGS WE ATE LAST WEEK:  Roast chicken with veggies, rice & gravy, deviled eggs; taco salad; chicken salad, loads of leftovers.

 


THINGS I (actually my daughter did half of this for me) CLEANED IN 15 MINUTES OR LESS: 

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - vacuumed floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Kitchen & Dining Room -  Cleaned microwave, vacuumed & spot mopped floors.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - Vacuumed & dusted, mopped bathroom floor.  Daily swish & swipe. 

Other - one large load of laundry.  Vacuumed & dusted living room, hallway & both entryways, washed living room window.

 


How was your thrifty week?

 

 

31 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you've had quite a week!!! I'm glad you've got doctors that are getting to the bottom of this, and that you're getting rest now. Praying for a full and complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke. This week will be much, much better! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. And yes, I would be very interested in your new meal plan. I have had two very minor strokes, one at age 31 and one at age 51. Both very stress related. I recovered completely very quickly. I am thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I know that was very scary for you. Stress does terrible things to us.

      Delete
  3. You had quite the week. I am so happy to hear you have new doctors and they kept digging to get you back on track. I appreciate all the info you have given us. Hospitals aren't fun but sometimes necessary. About the ony thing thrifty I did this week was transplant some flowers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful I won't have to go back, but I got the best care while I was there. I want to plant some flowers! :)

      Delete
  4. I've seen warnings about black licorice and heart problems. You might want to check with your cardiologist before you eat any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you have problems with your potassium levels and you eat a lot of it. My potassium is spot on and I don't eat much. That box of licorice will likely last me the rest of the year.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! I am glad you are doing ok now. And that your doctors are so determined to solve the "mystery."
    Yes I am interested in your modified diet plan when you are ready to share.
    Stay healthy!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. And yes, I'll be sure to share my meals plans. Still doing Keto. Yay!!

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy for you that your doctor took this seriously & continued until she found out what was happening with you. Hopefully this means your care can be tuned to what you need. Sending you lots of positive recovery thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm all about treating the cause rather than the symptoms and so is my cardiologist. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my word, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. BUT, if it means getting a proper diagnosis and therefore the right treatment it will be so much the better. Time now to rest and recoup! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting in my recliner a lot and watching a gob of movies this week! :)

      Delete
  8. Women are still underdiagnosed with heart problems which is why they die more often from the first heart attack. You were lucky to have women caring for you so well. I am having my own heart problems and do need to hear all I can. I am terrified. When I get my second dose of covid vaccine, I will wait two weeks and then go for the stints I need. Based on my energy levels, I wonder what my blockage percent is. Yes, you do have things to do! I wonder what caused your initial stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never could figure out what caused the stroke. I will say prayers for you with your upcoming procedure. I'm glad you are going to be getting it taken care of soon.

      Delete
  9. Glad you are getting some rest. Sometimes, just slowing down is all a body needs. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. I do believe we can allow our bodies to heal themselves.

      Delete
  10. It looks like you were placed in this challenging situation with your heart at the right time and place. (if that makes any sense) You got the Dr. who wouldn't quit searching and actually admitted you which was a good move on her part. Did you have endocarditis or was it the virus settling in your heart? Now you need to rest and get back on your feet. Thank goodness you are alright. It may not totally feel like it right now but as someone who has lived with heart challenges a good long time it is so important to find the right doctor and treatment. And also a doctor who will keep trying things and listen to you when things don't work. Nitro patches and pills give most people a horrible headache - sorry you had such a bad reaction. When I passed meds up in Oregon years ago we used strips and we had to put nitro cream out of a tube on them and place them on the patient. We were very careful about getting the right amount. The strips had markings and boy you didn't want to get any of it on your hands or instant headache. Take care and snuggle those kitties. Life is short and we need to live it to our fullest. About 2 1/2 weeks ago my 40 year old son went to sleep and never woke up. He had mentioned in passing that his heart raced at times but not for long - he would get really dizzy. Having heart problems I told him he needed to get checked but he had a trip to Oregon planned a few days later and said only if it continued. They don't know for sure if it was his heart but given both sides of the family and our heart history it is a very good possibility it may have been heart related. So always fight for your health and your girls health. Look for doctors that listen because when you live in your body you know when something isn't right with your body. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Crystal, I want to cry for you. I'm so sorry to hear about your son. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

      That nitrous they put on the patch does give you a headache and I knew it would and I knew it was supposed to help me. I toughed it out as long as I could. I have a pretty high pain threshold too, this was worse than a migraine.

      You take care of yourself as well. Again, so very sorry for your loss.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I have no regrets my boys both know how much I love them, if I promised them something I carried through and that I always have their backs. It's hard and we don't understand why these things happen but we deal with it the best we can. Going up to Oregon to finish details early May and see my mom and Granddaughter. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  11. Well...my week was MUCH better than yours!!! I am so sorry you are going through all these health issues- thank goodness for wonderful doctors who are so good at their job!!! I am so glad you are doing better and they have an idea what to do to keep it from happening again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am really glad you had a better week than I did. I don't recommend what I did at all. :0)

      Delete
  12. Thank God you were in the hospital for the BIG ONE! And hopefully this is the beginning steps on the road to better health. Keeping you in my prayers, friend. Rest up and get better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy you found a great Cardiologist that listened to you and kept digging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Smokes! What a scare! So glad you didn't mess around & got to the ER! I think we are about the same age - I wouldn't mess around either if I thought I was having a heart attack! Hope they can figure out what to do to resolve any future attacks. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. Rest & relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you this is the LAST thing I ever thought I'd be dealing with. Thank you for your thoughts & prayers. :)

      Delete
  15. Thank Father God for His blessings. He had you where you needed to be, the right medical professionals there and gave them the wisdom to find the solutions. Now, you take care of yourself! And I'd love to read what your eating plan will be. DH & I were discussing just this tonight after his foreman returned with a depressing diagnosis. His arteries are very clogged but due to his health, they cannot do surgery. He's on a strict eating & exercise plan. With his history it's doubtful he'll follow it and he's only 65.
    We are around 60 ourselves and we want to eat even better than we do and age well. Funny how I was thinking just this afternoon about getting back to smoothies, green drinks and juicing. The past 2 years had me stressed and over-worked too much to do those good things. This year is all about self-care for us. We need it!
    On a lighter note, I think my mom had those soup cookbooks. Good memories of good food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im so sorry you are having these issues but thankfully it sounds like you have a great cardiologist to help you. Thank you for sharing and I hope you are feeling much better. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. On a lighter note, Im very interested in your meal plan since my husband has to follow a heart healthy diet.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...