Thursday, April 1, 2021

A Thrifty March Recap

 


TO BEGIN WITH:  I ended February and headed into March in pretty good shape.  I had just over $6 in my checking account, $5 in my wallet and a full tank of fuel in my car.  Once again I was blessed to have my cupboards full with no immediate needs or wants.  I am a very lucky girl.

 


NEXT STEPS:  I had no bills due on the 5th so I pushed that first paycheck right into savings, HSA and retirement.  Our latest stimulus payment arrived on March 17th (Happy St. Patrick's Day to me!) and without a second thought I transferred it immediately into my savings account.  The next payday was a couple days later and included my annual bonus.  I paid all of our monthly bills that were due and our April mortgage plus some extra as well as the power bill that isn't due until April as well .  I funded our $100 grocery budget, our $25 non food budget, my pocket money and the rest was scooted right into savings, HSA and retirement.

 


WAYS I SAVED $$:  Once again I didn't shop very much because fortunately we didn't need very much.  I checked the ads before grocery shopping and downloaded digital coupons so I was able to stay on budget this month.  I am always thrilled about that.

 


WAYS I EARNED EXTRA $$:  I sold some more items from my Etsy shop and on eBay.  I also worked a very small amount of overtime at my job.  I put some more items up for sale on both Etsy and eBay.  So far this year all of our power bills have been paid using money from those sales.  That has been a huge boon to our household budget and allowed me to put even more into savings each month.

 


LOOKING BACK:  I feel I was pretty productive and did really well with my savings and spending.  I was able to pay off half of the medical bills I incurred in February using funds from my HSA.  Having that account has been a godsend for me as well as given me great peace of mind.

 


LOOKING AHEAD:  I have already scheduled a payment from my HSA to handle half of the remaining medical bills.  I will schedule a final payment for the rest in the beginning of May and that will be done.  I wanted to break it up into three payments so I didn't completely deplete my funds.  Plus the hospital gives you one year interest free to pay your bill.

 


I couldn't be any happier with how things went last month.  I am so grateful to have the means to take care of us right now.  It makes me feel so good to know I can handle whatever live throws my way and not have to worry or stress about it.  God is so good.

 

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you, girl. Others would be griping at the small amounts in your pocket and checking account. You're right -- if your needs and wants are met, and you're planning this out, you're rich!

    We have been doing better than usual the last few months, for having our utilities paid for (by volunteering for a missions group. They give me freebies from their thrift store "Missions Barrel," too!) And we're out in the desert, about 20 miles from the Mexico border. Nothing to spend money on, and very, very few places open for restaurants at night. Other than the Friday night fish special at one place, we don't go out much.
    The only bad part has been repairs on the fifth-wheel: fixing the sink and replacing the toilet, expense-wise. Other than that, we get probably fewer groceries and supplies than usual...because when I run out, I tend to make do, rather than trudge 20 or 30 miles to the store. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, well at least you have a shiny new potty that should last you a good long time. Check that off your worry list! LOL

      Sounds like you are having a grand adventure. Enjoy your perks too. :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...