Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Managing Our Food Storage

 


I always try to keep a full supply of food on hand with a stockpile of extra items “just in case”.  It has always served me well to do this, especially during the lean times.  I’ve never had to worry about being able to feed my family, pets included.  One never knows when things might happen so I like to be prepared as much as possible.

 


There are any number of reasons to be prepared such as a job loss, unexpected expenses, higher heating bills, storms, extreme winter weather and even the need to help out a friend or family member when they are in crisis. I’ve experienced all of these things in my lifetime.  Last year, in light of the pandemic, I decided to up my game by adding a prepper pantry which I filled with longer term storage items.  With the recent food shortages, mainly due to panic buying and some manufacturing issues, I felt if wise to do this and I’m very glad I did.

 


In order to manage our food storage I prepare our meals by using menu plans that are based on the things we already have on hand.  When it comes to grocery shopping I am using a replace as we go method this year as I don’t really need to do much in the way of stocking up now.  I have moved more into a maintenance mode.  I keep a pantry list in my dayplanner so I can circle items we are running low on (not out of) and then I buy those items when I go shopping, preferably waiting until they are on sale.

 


This year, because the prepper pantry is so new, I don’t really plan to do much, if anything, with it.  As time goes on I will be utilizing a pull and replace method meaning I will “shop” items that may be close to their end dates and replace them with new stock when I do.  I plan to start doing that in the spring of 2022.

 


A big part of what I do now is to rotate items in the pantry and freezer and take a regular inventory so I am always aware of what I have and can make sure to use items before they get old or expire.  While I’m not one who is strictly stuck to an expiration date on a food item I do like to use them as guidelines.  Rotating freezer items so older things get used up ahead of the newer ones coming in is another way I curb food loss due to freezer burn.

 


I really enjoy sharing some of the things I do and I hope this helps inspire you, although I’m sure a lot of you probably do some of these things already.  Let me know if you have any questions or if you have some ideas of topics you would like to see me cover more in depth.

 

10 comments:

  1. I was just having a conversation with my adult daughter this weekend about adding additional staples to her pantry each week. She is a weekly shopper and only purchases what she needs, but last spring felt the pinch of the pandemic and it truly scared her, so she was looking for some guidance on what to do. It is so important to have those extras, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good conversations to have. One just never knows what might happen.

      Delete
  2. I do most of the things you do, but my stamina, agility, and strength hold me back. I do wonder if you ever tried Ova Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried those or any other dehydrated egg product. Some day I will probably give it a whirl.

      Delete
  3. I am slowly starting a pantry list and trying to figure out what and how much we eat in a 6 week span so that I can start stocking up better. I am stumbling with how to track it. Suggestions welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried all kinds of ways to track our food tores, but what I found works best for me is to make sure I do regular inventories with my pantry list handy and mark down what we are low or out of. I inventory the pantry and freezer at least once a month. The more you do it the quicker you get at it so it doesn't take me very long at all.

      Delete
    2. Patti, I suggest you save up and do a BIG shop day. Buy 6 of everything you use regularly. (Obviously that doesn't apply to spices, flour, sugar...those large volume items. Note that date. Check your stock after 6 weeks and see what remains. Or if you're out in 4 weeks, you'll know it's a 4 week supply. For me, it's too hard to record everything used.

      I do a quarterly "meat cooking" weekend. 6# roast beef-shredded, 4# ground turkey/beef/Italian sausage for pasta dishes, 4# ground turkey/beef for taco meat. It serves us well and precooked protein makes almost any meal quick! And I stock up 6# of frozen fish fillets, 6# of chicken breast/thighs. It generally lasts us the full quarter.

      I hope the examples help.

      Delete
  4. I have a chest freezer - med. size and keeping it organized for me is no problem but my husband can't find anything. I have meats in one area, veggies all together, fruit, Cheeses, butter, and a bin for misc and one person leftover meals. Have tried a check off list but he forgets to write what he takes out and then I think we have more than we do. Any suggestions? He eats different than I do so cooks a lot of his own foods. I buy for both of us with sales, deals, coupons, etc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a tricky one when you have more than one cook. Honestly, I was bad at the checklist myself so I gave up on it. Before I do a big shop I go and look at what I have and take an inventory. It is the only way I know for sure, especially with both of my girls cooking meals on their own sometimes too.

      Delete
    2. I think you are right. I just need to search it before making my meal plan and then try my best to keep like things in the same place so I can see what we might be low on on check out if a good sale or deal comes along. Thanks!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...