Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thinking Small - Kitchen & Pantry



My new kitchen will be much, much smaller than our current tiny kitchen.  The kitchen in our RV consists of one two burner stove, a small single basin sink and a cooler but I have some plans to make it much larger and efficient.  I am planning to incorporate an outdoor kitchen using my folding table (currently my sewing table) and some electrical appliances. 

Of course, you guessed it!  There will be a slow cooker involved and our new convection toaster oven.  I am also bringing along an electric hot plate and my kitchen kettle (these two items are always in my RV), along with a toaster, a small microwave and an apartment sized refrigerator. 

I also have extra dishpans for making it easier to clean up after cooking and eating.  This is important because I am not a lover of paper plates or plastic flatware.  I like to eat off of regular dishes and utensils. 

I use the icebox in our RV as a pantry because it has never been particularly good at keeping food cold.  I am always amazed at how much food that little icebox will hold.  I also have a plastic bin that has been our “chuck box” since our tent camping days to store extra items and bulkier stuff. 

I’m not sure, exactly how the little refrigerator will work out as I’ve never used one before with our RV but I figure this would be the time to give it a shot.  We will also have our cooler with ice for storing our fresh foods. 

I filled our RV pantry first with items I already had on hand in our house.  I had easily 90% of the stuff I wanted to take with us.  I have been filling in the items I don’t have using our current grocery budget so I’m not spending any extra money at this time to get ready.  So far, so good. 

I already have plastic bags and food storage containers as well as potholders, dish cloths and towels, napkins, dish soap and a dish drainer in the RV so I don’t have to add any of those things.  Plenty of dishes, utensils, flatware and drinking ware so we are set there too.  I added a couple rolls of paper towels.

4 comments:

  1. wow - sounds like you have it covered! I admire you for doing this! cant wait to hear about your travels!
    Jessiejack

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are going to have so much fun!

    K

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...