Monday, July 8, 2013

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Stella is packed up and ready to go.
Sunday I began my thrifty week with more sorting, organizing, purging and packing.  Once again I used boxes and bins I already had on hand to pack with. 

We used up the last of the girl’s earned free meal awards from school and went out to lunch Sunday afternoon.  They also got a free dessert which made it extra special. 

I used some of our money from eBay sales to purchase all of us new sport sandals on sale at Fred Meyer.  I also used some of that money to get the oldest one two pair of shorts and a pair of denim capris for me. 

Once we got home from our lunch out and running errands I gave the girls each a haircut. 

I used our reusable shopping bags to pack up the pantry.  Despite my best efforts to use up what we had on hand and eat down our pantry I ended up with six full bags of groceries to take with us.  It will make a nice start for our new pantry and once again reaffirmed we had a lot of food in this house! 

I rented a Rug Doctor for $35 and completely shampooed all the carpets in our house.  I already had plenty of carpet shampoo so I didn’t need to buy any.  We also had plenty of cleaner on hand to use to finish scrubbing everything from top to bottom. 

I bought a box of trash bags for $2.39 to pack our bulky blankets and pillows in. 

I called the thrift store to come and pick up a large pile of donations. 

I shared eight plastic shopping bags of groceries from our freezer and pantry with some good friends of mine.  I also gave a friend all our condiments, a half gallon of orange juice and a package of celery stalks from our refrigerator. 

I gave the leftover laundry supplies and our dishwasher detergent to another friend. 

I bought two bars of Fels Naptha soap and grated it.  I then added washing soda and borax I already had to it to make up a big batch of homemade laundry soap topped off our plastic laundry soap container and then packed it away with our other laundry supplies.  I figured it was more efficient to do it that way rather than packing all the individual ingredients. 

I topped off our Spray & Wash bottle from the refill and gave the leftovers to a friend. 

On Friday I took a year's worth of saved aluminum into the recycling center.  We netted $5.85 for our efforts in addition to saving thirteen pounds of reusable material from ending up in the landfill. 

I bought us all a pair of flip flops from Fred Meyer's clearance rack for less than $3 a pair. 

I shut off our home phone, internet, satellite, electric and water services. 

I used my Fred Meyer rewards card to save 10¢ a gallon on a tank of gas at their gas station. 
 
We are now out of our house so we have no report on our chickens to share. L

How was your thrifty week last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...