Tuesday, July 23, 2013

This Isn't What It Looks Like


By looking at this picture one would assume that I decided to pack up all my precious belongings and move somewhere, right?  I mean who wouldn’t assume that is what is going on here. 

Truth is, that is sooooo not what happened here.  After spending some time in Nevada and Arizona I was on my way back to Idaho with my daughters and a lot of ideas to move to Bullhead City, Arizona.  We even found an apartment we liked.  School starts there in a few weeks so we were motivated to get the show on the road.  Now all we needed was to finish up a few things in Boise, check out a couple more places, grab our stuff and head back down.  We were feeling pretty excited too.  Things were happening. 

It ain't happening! 

A few miles outside of Ely, Nevada our truck broke down.  Not a little breakdown, a big one.  On a Saturday no less, when no mechanic is open.  Plus, if you have never been to Ely, it is located in the middle of nowhere where if someone was open I imagine it would be highly unlikely they'd have parts in stock.  I even talked to one of the locals who basically told me I was up a creek without a paddle. 

Towing to Boise would have cost a bloody fortune and waiting until Monday would mean at least two days hotel and meals plus no guarantees they could fix it and I'd still need to tow it.  Plus I'd still need to figure out how to get us home. 

I have roadside assistance but it only covers towing to the nearest mechanic.  I was pretty much already there so I didn't even bother to call them.  Instead I got creative and rented a U-haul so I could pull a car hauler with it and get the truck back to Boise.  It cost about $400 less to do it this way then to have it towed and I have no idea what car rental would have added, assuming I could find a car to rent in Ely. 

As it turns out I was the second person that day to have to do this.  Another couple had their vehicle completely die on them and they needed to get home to a much more rural area.  I can only imagine how much that might have cost them for towing. 

At U-haul the 14 foot truck had a tire blowout so my only choice was to use the 20 footer.  They were nice enough to give it to me at the 14 footer price, thankfully.  This truck was a beast to drive, a complete gutless wonder and it took us forever to get back to Boise.  It also sucked gas big time.  But it did the job and got us home. 

So what am I going to do next?  Honestly, I have no flipping idea.

4 comments:

  1. I sincerely believe that the direction your path should take will become clear. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't give up. I know things will be made clear soon enough. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I believe God does things in our life for a reason and we don't understand it right now but I know there is a reason. I pray you will know the direction you are to take. Whatever direction you take, I know you will do well. You know how to do so many things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying this. It helps a lot. I know too that God has a plan for me and I need to follow along.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...