Monday, July 1, 2013

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Poor Stella.  That moving sale was hard work!
Sunday I priced and organized items for our big moving sale.  I sold our dining room set on Craigslist.  I listed several more items for sale on Craigslist.  I had a huge pile of empty bins and boxes in our family room. 

I used up some frozen ground pork and ground beef to make a nice big meatloaf and invited friends over for dinner.  Everything I served came from the pantry or freezer.  The larder is now starting to look pretty bare. 

I sold my bedroom set, the bunk beds, a friend’s dining room set for her (while I was at it), another friend’s three wheeled bicycle, and the refrigerator in the garage.  I gave my great-grandparent’s antique bedroom set and a TV to my brother. 

I sorted, organized and set up for our big moving sale on Wednesday and Thursday.  I made my tags out of stuff I already had on hand.  We put up our homemade signs on Friday morning and also advertised our sale on Craigslist. 

We sold a lot of stuff at our sale and ended up hauling less than a truckload of stuff to donate to the thrift store.  Most of the stuff we donated was clothing that I didn’t even try to sell.  I was really pleased with how well we did. 

While we were at the thrift store dropping off our donations we found a Petmate carrier there for sale.  It looked brand new and was priced at a third of what they sell for at the store.  Since we are in need of one we grabbed it up.  I was really excited about that purchase. 

The only grocery shopping I did last week was to pick up: 

·         two loaves of bread on sale for 97¢ each
·         two packages of hot dog buns on sale for 89¢ each
·         two packages of hotdogs on sale for 99¢ each
·         two bags of potato chips on sale for 99¢ each
·         and four bananas on sale for 39¢ a pound 

At our moving sale on Saturday I was able to serve eight of us lunch for less than $6.00 thanks to the items I got on sale.  We all agreed it had been a long time since we’d had a hotdog and it sure tasted good. 

Saturday I packed up the majority of our kitchen, my bedroom and our bathrooms leaving out only the items we needed to use.  All the bins and boxes I used I already had on hand. 

Our chickens blessed us with 19 eggs last week!

4 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...