Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Extending Taco Meat - Healthy & Thrifty


There was a time when a pound of ground beef was plenty for the three of us to enjoy a taco supper and still have leftovers.  With the girl's becoming teenagers with healthy appetites those days are long gone.  I decided it was time to get creative.

In order to extend our taco meat I add things that not only fill you up but make it healthier too.  The last time I made tacos I took a pound of 85% lean ground turkey and browned it with half an onion I had finely diced and half a green bell pepper also finely diced.  Then I added a heaping cup of drained black beans I had cooked in my slow cooker.

Next I sprinkled the mixture with a half packet of taco seasoning and for the liquid I added about a half cup of bean broth from the slow cooker in place of the plain water.  The starchy broth helped bind everything together.  After simmering for about five minutes it was ready to serve with flour and corn tortillas, grated cheese, shredded lettuce and sour cream. 

Delicious, nutritious and very healthy.  Another great satisfying meal that didn’t look or taste thrifty at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...