Monday, February 10, 2014

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves

A lovely sight to behold
I used up some sour milk and made homemade whole wheat waffles and fried up some ham slices for Sunday breakfast.  We also used our homemade syrup.

I made a pan of cornbread with whole wheat flour to take with us later that afternoon to watch with friends as the Seahawks slaughtered the Broncos.  It was pretty tasty with the chili that was served.  Along with all the other great foods that were there I totally overate.

I sold and listed items on eBay.

One day it was warm enough to actually hang a little laundry outside to dry.

I watched some documentary programs and a few of my favorite TV shows on Hulu for free.

A couple weeks ago I had printed some meat coupons off the internet.  I'd been keeping my eyes open for good prices and lucked out on Monday to find ground turkey on sale for $2.99 a package.  I bought five packages and used all three coupons that saved me 50¢ on each package.  Just in time too because they expired on Tuesday.  I don't find meat coupons very often so I was excited to get to use them.

I bought a package of 5 pork chops from the markdown bin for $3.16.

I bought 3 tubes of Carmex on sale at Walgreens for 3/$3 and used a $1 off coupon.  I put them in my gift stash.

I did my major monthly grocery shopping.  I carefully made my list, checked the store ads and paired coupons to some items on sale.  I went to two stores and purchased six bags of groceries for less than $55.

I was able to add some items to the new freezer.  The markdown bin in the bakery department provided me with three loaves of bread (2 at 99¢ each and 1 at 79¢), a package of whole wheat hotdog buns (89¢) and a package of whole wheat English muffins (79¢).

I treated myself to a peppermint scented candle from the dollar store.

Friday I made two beautiful homemade pizzas to take to our friends house.  They needed some company and a little pick me up after having to put their kitty to sleep.  We ate with them and enjoyed watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics. 

How did your thrifty week pan out?

10 comments:

  1. Great job! I find these posts so inspiring to do better! This week has been pretty good so far, it's going to be a tight week with hubby missing a chunk of work, so need to stay *low* with our budget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, I'm sure you will have no problem. I'm really pleased where I'm at right now. Especially the grocery budget Yippee!

      Delete
  2. Our week was not as thrifty_ 3 major repairs and I ended up spending every it of my grocery and spending money except for some change and a few $1s. But I hope the rest of the month will be better.

    You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks just happen that way, don't they? Why is it when one thing needs fixed there are 2 or 3 more to go with it? Baffles me. This week will be better for you. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. You used milk that had gone sour to make waffles? It never occurred to me to do that. Is it essentially buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I use it a lot to bake with - biscuits, a cake, pumpkin bread, you name it. My grandmothers depression era cookbooks actually has recipes that specifically call for sour milk.

      Delete
  4. I worked more shifts than usual this pay period, so I suppose that is thrifty. More money coming in. Mind you I have to pay for my sons Lacrosse registration this month and our gas bill will be higher than usual because it is so insanely cold these days. I look forward to spring and lower utility bills.

    You had a great week as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job bringing in the extra income. I am ready for lower heat bills too. Come on spring!

      Delete
  5. I've been sitting with a throw over my legs and my feet on a stool rather than turn on the gas fire in the front room. Made an inventory of my two freezers and my pantry so I'm more up on what I have to use. Bought a bag of frozen peppers and one of frozen mushrooms for less than half the cost of fresh; I've not tried these before, so this is an experiment - I love frugal experiments! Bought a bargain box of fresh fish (plaice) at the fish quay for £5 for 9 fish. Two were a bit small so I'm calling that 8 servings for .62 pence each. Tried a salmon recipe using half a (large) tin of salmon, 1/4 of that weight in mashed veggies and 1/4 in bread crumbs. Turned out very nice, three servings in that. Bill found a bag of decaff coffee grounds in the top of the cupboard and we got out our coffee maker to use it up (we normally drink instant and when the decaff ran out we switched to using up tea bags - still quite a bit of that as well!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you made some really great thrifty moves last week. Pat yourself on the back. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...