Monday, February 17, 2014

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves


Sunday morning I used up the last of half a boneless ham and made delicious breakfast sandwiches.  I also used my bargain bin English muffins I bought the week before.

Using three sheets of cardstock I printed out my daughter's classroom Valentines.  After cutting them with my paper cutter they were all ready for her to address to her classmates.  I also used two more sheets of cardstock and some colored paper to make four homemade Valentine greeting cards.  I wrote a letter inside to each recipient and then mailed them off using up the last of my Christmas stamps.

I veered off course a bit with our menu plan in order to efficiently use up some leftover items in the refrigerator.  I will be posting more about this tomorrow as even I was surprised at how much mileage I got out of a package of pork sausage and a can of tomato sauce.

Apparently my girls are a little off their feed with the milk lately.  We had a little sour milk again, about a cup is all, so I made two loaves of pumpkin bread with it.

I sold and listed more items on eBay.  This was a remarkably good week for sales.

With the gallon I purchased the previous week I mixed up more milk and put it in my half gallon Mason jars.  Love those jars!

I watched a few documentaries and a couple TV shows on Hulu.

I worked on filing my taxes.  I so don't want to talk about it.  There is nothing thrifty about this year's tax bill.  Grumble, grumble.

I added water to my "empty" bottle of laundry detergent and shook it real good to rinse off the thick layer of soap on the inside of the bottle.  I was amazed to be able to wash three more loads of clothes with it.

I was ultra conservative with my gas usage since I didn't work last week.  I put less than 45 miles on my vehicle.  On Friday I used my rewards points at the Fred Meyer gas station to fill up my truck and saved 10¢ per gallon.

I took a survey for Fred Meyer and earned an additional 50 rewards points toward another gas discount.

At Walgreens I bought my girls each their own jar of Nutella for Valentines.  It was on sale for $3.49 and I used a buy one get one free coupon so each jar was only $1.75.  While I was there I also picked up a gift for my oldest daughter's next birthday.  After using a coupon I had Walgreens actually had to pay me 1¢ to buy the item.  I love when that happens!  The clerk got really excited about it too.

I made homemade tarter sauce.



I ordered four bricks of my favorite coffee online with free shipping.

I bought a potted mini rosebush from a post-Valentine clearance table for 99¢.  Now I just need to do my best not to kill it.

We enjoyed a family game night with chips & salsa and a small batch of homemade taco dip.

My daughter gathered up items around the house to make her friend a birthday gift.  It was quite a collection but all items the young lady particularly enjoys. 

What thrifty things did you do last week to save money?

4 comments:

  1. Today, I am drying clothes indoors, planting
    seeds in egg cups, working on swagbucks, sewing this supplies on hand, and I plan to stay home all day.

    Your pumpkin bread looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pumpkin bread. Good job on the savings Rhonda!!

      Delete
  2. I went to TJ Maxx's and didn't buy anything. Hah.......
    I stopped at Targets on the 13th after a doctors appointment. They had some of their dollar items for half price. I bought Vaentnes and Easter gifts for the grands.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...