Friday, February 7, 2014

Our New Freezer

For a good solid month now I have been researching smaller freezers.  Price, performance, customer satisfaction and energy consumption were all the key things I had checked out.  I have weighed the pros and cons of purchasing a used one versus a new one.  I have searched tons of websites and Craigslist multiple times over.

Last Saturday the oldest and I set out to do some footwork and go see what we could find.  I had a pretty good idea where I wanted to go and what I wanted to get, so into the truck and off we went.  First stop was Walmart.  They had the size I wanted and the brand had good reviews.  Price was affordable too.  But gut feeling wasn’t right and I know to follow my gut so we went to Lowes, located right next door.  They had a larger one, more money and a brand I'd never heard of.  No brainer here, we left.

My gut told me as we walked outside to the parking lot to head to Home Depot.  Not the one closest to us but the one we used to shop at all the time by our old house.  We got back into the truck, onto the interstate and headed in that direction.

They had the freezer I really wanted, the size I wanted but the price was $30 more than I wanted to pay.  Still I was considering going for it.  As I stood there contemplating the GE 5.0 cubic foot chest freezer one of the clerks approached and asked me if I wanted to look at two freezers they were clearing out.  Okay.

Both were 7.0 cubic feet and marked down to $128.00.  Price was perfect but the size was bigger and I'm a tiny house dweller so I'm thinking smaller is better.  When he offered to reduce the price again for me to $114 I decided I'd go for the smaller price.

Our Magic Chef 7.0 cubic foot chest freezer is perfect.  Light enough I can even pick it up and move it when it is empty  However, I decided to error on the side of caution and asked a friend to help me.  My arm span isn't quite long enough.  Nonetheless we were both happy it was light.

We cleared out a corner in the shed and plugged her in.  Now I can freeze ice jugs for the refrigerator to my little heart's content.  On the way home from Home Depot my daughter began to list all the things we could put in it too.  I think ice cream was mentioned several times. 

I'll be happy to do some freezer cooking and stockpile chili, refried beans and soups.  I love having those things on hand and ready for a quick meal.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, you must have a sixth sense! Glad you got a good deal. We just did an inventory of our freezer. It's really too big for us so I've filled the bottom part with water in milk cartons. I think I've found that fresh milk is actually cheaper than the boxed stuff I normally buy - UHT milk is 'ultra-high-temperature' milk that keeps for a very long time before it's opened and even for quite a while after opening. I can freeze fresh milk, though, and so I'm going to look further into that. I'm reminded that it always pays to check things out periodically even though I think I have it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are constantly evolving, aren't we? I've frozen milk, juice and cheese. I tried freezing cream once, complete disaster. Right now it is full of milk and juice jugs I've filled with water. I'm working on adding food. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you found a GOOD Deal, God showed you where to go to get the deal you deserved for listening to HIS inner voice. Enjoy freezer stocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty amazing! I'll appreciate and enjoy our freezer a lot!!

      Delete
  3. Great deal!! That'll be so nice to have around! I love my deep freezer!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...