Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Death By Chocolate Cookies


I love chocolate.  My girls love chocolate.  As a family we consume our fair share of chocolate.  So any version of a chocolate dessert is something we get excited about.  I made these cookies almost two decades ago and they have been a family favorite ever since.  This is my version of these cookies:

Death By Chocolate Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 cup semi sweet chocolate baking chips
1 cup white chocolate baking chips


Cream butter, shortening and sugars together smooth and fluffy.  Add eggs, soda, salt and vanilla and blend well.  Stir in baking chips and cocoa.  Lastly add flour and stir until well incorporated.  Drop dough by spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.  Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove and cool on a baking rack.  Store cookies in an airtight container.


Often I will substitute M&Ms for the chocolate baking chips as I did for the ones I made for Valentine's Day.  Milk chocolate chips are good too.  So are peanut butter.  Believe me we've tried them all. J

These decadent cookies go down well with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee.  Give these a try next time you need a good chocolate fix.



14 comments:

  1. Oh yes, chocolate and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the taste, texture and euphoric feeling I get from eating it. I hate that it's my "drug of choice" when I've had a bad day and what it does to my waistline and hips. I've even used chocolate as a tool to bribe family and friends to help me with improvements to my home. (They won't take money but a batch of chocolate chip cookies......)
    I've never used cocoa in my chocolate chip cookie recipe and I'm definitely going to try your recipe.
    Hmmmm I wonder if anyone wants to help me paint the living room? ;-)
    Thank you for sharing.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate is awesome and it makes a great bribery tool. Ha, ha. Good luck with the painting. These cookies would do the trick. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Heaven.
    I am packing my bag and heading all the way there for those cookies!
    I am making these- this week!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware - you can't eat just one and they don't last very long. I told the girls I thought someone broke into the house and stole the last batch because they got up one morning and a whole bunch were missing. I have no idea what happened!

      Delete
    2. Hee hee. Well, I sure do hope you catch that cookie thief. She... I mean He (ahem)... must have very good taste- and isn't it funny how the only things missing in the house were those cookies?? Go figure. ;)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Anne, and I'm a chocoholic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just took these out of the oven- they are AWESOME! It is lunchtime right now- I don't think they are going to last until dessert time tonight, which was the intention when I decided to make them. :)
    Thank you again for this- it will definitely be a much-loved recipe in our home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made these cookies last night and had to hide part of them in the freezer. My husband, son and I were eating them almost as fast as I was taking them out of the over. Great recipe! Thanks again for sharing.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! So glad you guys like them. We have the same problem at our house. They don't last very long. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...