Friday, March 27, 2015

Our Girls Are One Month Old Already


I wasn’t quite sure how it would be to raise baby chicks inside the house this time of year but so far it is working out fantastically.  It is too chilly to have them in our garage like I did last time.  I can't believe it has been a month already and our girls are doing really well.  They are growing up and are healthy and happy in their dog crate turned chick brooder.

Surprisingly the layer of pine bedding has been tremendous in providing the girls a comfortable floor in the brooder and absorbing odors.  We keep it fairly tidy throughout the week and I do a complete clean out once a week.  The used bedding goes into our compost bin.


During the daytime I keep the light on so they have faux daylight and then when the sun starts to go down I turn the light off and let them settle down and prepare for sleep.  I have an old throw that I cover the brooder with to make it dark inside and they are off to dreamland.

Matilda helping me shop for chicken feeders
We wash their feeders often as they tend to mess them up on a regular basis and as they grow they are eating and drinking more too.  I the past two weeks, as the weather has permitted, we take them outside onto the lawn to play around and stretch their legs.  They have a ball.  After about an hour they are all tuckered out and let us know they are ready to head back in by jumping into our laps and hunkering down.

Edith and Penelope
I love how they get so excited to see me when I come home from work every night.  They rush to the door of their brooder and hop up and down until I come and say hello.  Most people don't really think of chickens as affectionate creatures but I beg to differ.  Our girls love to be held and cuddled.

Nothing quite like being mauled by a bunch of sweet
little chickies.  A little bit crazy aren't I?
This week I gave them some of my homemade bread and they absolutely loved it.  I've given them lettuce leaves and they aren't as excited about those yet but when I gave them a slice of tomato they went nuts.  One grabbed it and the chase was on.  I ended up getting them another one so they would settle down and share.

Rosemary and her sisters.  Pretty happy group of girls.
Now that they are getting bigger and doing so well I am far less nervous about them getting ill and passing away.  With the rough start we had in the beginning I'm afraid I was a bit of an anxious chicken mommy there for awhile.

They are so sweet and I just love them to pieces.  And spoiled.  Oh my gosh.

Just a little bit. J



2 comments:

  1. Oh my- they are so cute! They got so big in one month's time! My kiddos would love them to death. We are talking about getting some chicks this spring from the local farmers market- we had them years ago, before we had the kids, and we would love to have them again. By the way, I love the names you gave them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always give my pets old fashioned people names. Its my thing. LOL.

      They do grow fast don't they? I was in the feed store last night and they had new peeps. So tiny and cute. I'm crazy about chickens and raising them for eggs. I hope you get some too. They are too dang much fun. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...