Friday, March 20, 2015

I Own A Cell Phone, But It Doesn't Own Me


The other day I walked into the break room at work to have lunch.  It was packed with women and dead quiet.  I heated up my leftovers and took a seat.  I was ready for conversation and a nice meal and yet not a one of them spoke a word.

Now I have never, in my life, been in a room full of women that one of them didn't have something to say.  But every single one of these gals was focused on that little flat box in their hand.  Finger swiping up and down as they scrolled the internet or facebook or whatever.

After awhile  I tried to start up a conversation.  No one joined in and it was literally like I had just started talking to myself.  I got the giggles and I'm sure they were probably wondering about me, but most likely, I doubt they were even aware.  It is insane to see people so focused on an inanimate object like that to the point that they won't even socialize to a small degree.


When cell phones first hit the scene they were a modern convenience I felt I could do without.  Truth be told I kind of still feel that way, but then again I have never been one to ever be tied to a telephone of any kind.  When I did finally get one it was a novelty and I will admit I preferred having it to use over a dirty payphone even though I was spending far more per month on the basic plan than I ever would have on quarters to use said payphone.  But when we travelled it was nice to have as long as we had service.  That is sometimes sketchy.

My cell phone stays on my desk 99% of the time when I go to lunch.  I hardly ever take it with me and guess what?  That's rare.  The rest of the time it resides in my purse.  On vibrate.  If I need to use it I go get it, use it and put it back.

Please DO NOT do this.

I don't pack it around with me in my hand.  It is not an extension of my arm.  I don't wear it.  It is not an accessory.  I don’t have it clipped to my belt or tucked in my bra.  It's just a freakin' phone.

I'm sorry but I have other things to do.  Farting around with the phone just isn't one of those things.  I really don't care about the funny picture you found on the internet or the latest cat video you found funny.  Isn't it enough that we are friends on facebook and I'll see it there too? Of course that means I'll have to check it but then that is a whole other story - don't get me started.  Tee hee. 


I know I am way outside the norm here.  I just don't see the attraction or attachment a lot of people have for these things.  It just concerns me that they seem to be taking over and people aren't interacting like they should.  (In my opinion.)  I guess I just don't get it.  That's okay.  Certainly not the first time that has happened to me.

I've been "scolded" on occasion by my friends a few times that I "never answer my text messages".  I gently remind them that my phone is for my use.  (Not theirs.)  Besides, I don't want to carry on a conversation in abbreviated text dotted with smiley faces.  Let's get together and, I don't know, talk to each other.

K?
c u soon :)
XXX OOO


Ornery old bat aren't I?

LOLOLOLOL.


16 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that I was laughing and smiling through this whole post while reading it! My husband and I have had this exact conversation so many times. We are not the type of people that are attached to our phones either. In fact, we do not have smart-phones (we have the dumbest phones you can find in a store!) and we do not have texting on our phone plan. I cant tell you how many people have had something to say because we do not receive or send text messages- but we always politely tell them "you can always call me and we can talk." I don't mind that other people do a lot of texting and are involved with their phones, but when someone comes over to my house and is sitting at my table visiting and has their phone in their hand the whole time texting and watching their little videos and what-not and I am talking to the top of their bent head the whole time it is very annoying! Or when you are having a conversation with someone who is having another conversation at the same time with someone else through texting- grrrrr. It is really frustrating, but I have noticed it is the norm for many people and I don't think most people even realize that it is actually very rude. Okay, I'm gonna stop now cause this is one of those 'don't get me started' topics. haha. Just know that even if you are in a rare class to feel the way you do, you've got some company in that class, girl. I'm right there with ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually told friends how I feel when they do stuff like that. If I invite you to dinner, whether in my house or a restaurant, you need to pay attention to me or go home. And they think if they throw out a quick "sorry" it excuses them as they text or take the call. My grandma always said there was no excuse for bad behavior. She would not approve of the phone thing. No way.

      Delete
  2. Lol great post! We have people like where I work too... very unsocial.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess you and I will both have to be old bats! I feel just like you. My family went out to eat with my sister in law and her family. I am not kidding, the entire time they texted, and were on their phones. And they had invited us to go with them. Halfway through I said something and my SIL said that her and my BIL text to each other sitting beside each other on the couch! When we got home I told my kids that we are never going out to eat with them again. So incredibly rude. I also have family members who have pretty much told me to not call them, but only text because they just don't have time to talk on the phone. Just so sad to me. I think it is what our world is coming to, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say about all that. Especially the part about them texting each other on the couch. What?! Don't blame you a bit for how you feel. I think we may come to regret all our modern technology someday.

      Delete
  4. Recently I saw a group of photos of kids from my local high school. They were on a trip in Hawaii and in every shot with multi kids more than half were looking down at their phones. The best (worst?) was a candid shot of about 12 kids. Every single one of them was either scrolling or texting.

    I remember the days when you only answered the phone if you were home. I like the safety having an accessible phone gives, but I miss the solitude of being away from it. Even when I choose not to answer, the vibrations are still annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They missed all the beautiful scenery! If I got to go to Hawaii the last thing I'd want to see is my phone.

      Delete
  5. I SOOOO agree with you!!! It is a sad state of affairs when people gather to eat & then spend that time on their phones instead of conversing. So, so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am one of those people with their phone on them at all times. No, I am not one of those constantly on it. It stays in my pocket or on my nightstand when I am home. I have a smartphone (but not one of those ridiculously expensive ones), but do not have a data plan on it. I only get on the internet at home connected to my WiFi. My phone is used to text my husband mostly and to text my sister-in-law about my baby. It is used to text/call coworkers at work whenever something is needed and I am outside. The building is much too large to just stick your head in and yell and so much better than trying to round up all the kids and go in because something is needed. I also do not have a home phone. And my phone is my camera. It is where just about all my pics are from.

    I do agree about the dislike of people always being on their phones. But I would much prefer someone text me than call. I absolutely HATE talking on the phone. I'm a shaking nervous wreck if I know I have to make a phone call.

    You should see schools today. Even elementary school kids show up with their IPhones and refuse to stay off them. Kids are obsessed with them, but so are most adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds to me like you've found the happy medium with how you choose to use your phone. You don't sound obsessed with it which is my greatest concern. Half the time I forget my phone has a camera. I guess I just miss the "good ol' days".

      Delete
  7. The post is so true. Yesterday, I went for a doctors appointment, there were 13 or 14 people in the waiting area. All but my husband and myself were on cell phones. Sheesh....
    Kathi in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe it. Sheesh is right. Good to hear from you Kathi. :)

      Delete
  8. After being on call for work for 20 years, I grew to hate mobile phones (it was pagers before that). I love being unavailable. I really enjoy using my laptop and I love the internet, but like you, I don't want to be owned by a gadget. I still think talking to people, observing nature, sitting quietly on the metro and looking out the window are all far more important than whatever those people are staring at. If I'm going to be captivated by something, it's likely to be a book - a real one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't signed on to the e book or kindle either. I like to hold a book and turn the pages myself. People watching is so much better than what is on the internet. I'm afraid life is passing people by while they are tuned into their phones. I'm with you!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...