Monday, March 23, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



I cut out and sewed two pair of gym shorts for my youngest who decided to join her school's track team.  We bought the sweatshirt fabric with a 50% OFF coupon making them just $4.50 each pair.  I saved more money by using a pajama shorts pattern, plus thread and elastic I already had.



A few years ago I figured out a way to use the narrower elastic in waistbands by stitching two sets of rows and working 1/4" elastic through each stitched casing.  I discovered I actually prefer this method as the elastic doesn't twist and the waistband is more comfortable.  I also double stitched the hem to give them the athletic look of store bought shorts.  She loves them.

I baked two loaves of whole wheat bread.

I cleaned out the jar a candle came in by removing the last remnants of wax and the labels before scrubbing it clean.  I think it will be great to re use it as part of a gift for someone.  Perhaps I'll fill it with candy or some homemade bath salts.  It's a really nice jar, too nice for the recycle bin at this time.  It would also be great for storage.

I added a half cup of bleach and some warm water to my Clorox Clean Up bottle.  I refilled my spray bottle with a cup of Fabulosa (I buy that at the dollar store) and the rest of the way with warm water.

The girls hanging out in the sunshine with my oldest.
They are really growing fast.

The weather was warm enough to keep the main heat off.  We have only needed to use our infrared heater periodically after the sun goes down.  It does an amazing job.

We got some pretty good rain this week so I didn't need to water the newly seeded area in our lawn.  I was hoping this would be the case if I seeded early enough this spring.

I worked several hours of overtime again this week.

I cut the bottom off a milk jug, filled it with soil from the garden and planted about a half dozen Roma tomato seeds.  The seeds were some my daughter saved and dried when she cut up a tomato to make a salad.  We will see what happens and if they germinate.  So far none of the other seeds we planted a couple weeks ago have sprouted.  We may need to start over.

I took the sliver of soap left in the shower and grabbed a new bar of soap then got them both good and wet so I could stick them together.  Laminating soap slivers to a new bar helps us to easily use it up with virtually no waste.


Thursday evening I sold my little washing machine after advertising it on Craigslist.  I was a little sad to see it go but I am very grateful to have the extra money.

Fred Meyer sent me another coupon booklet in the mail.  Yaaaaay!



My oldest won an award at school last month.  The prize for winning awards at our house is that we go out to dinner as a family to the restaurant of the winner's choice.  Since the youngest also won an award a week earlier we celebrated her dinner in February and then Friday night we celebrated the oldest's achievement.  I had a $5 coupon to use and instead of ordering a dessert to share we decided it was a much better deal for all of us to use that money and stop at Albertson's on the way home.  We used a store coupon to buy two cartons of ice cream for $1.99 each (less than the price of one dessert).  While we were there the girls turned in their winning Monopoly game ticket for a free package of Oreo cookies.  The mint ones were back in stock. 

The young one and I got up early Saturday morning to beat the crowd at the grocery store.  There were several pantry items I was low on or out of that I knew we could pick up reasonably at Winco.  I also had some bulk bin items to get.  I used the money from the sale of the washing machine to fund this trip.


I ordered some more beer brewing supplies from Amazon.  I also shopped online for larger chicken feeders.  I didn't buy any yet.

How thrifty were you last week?


10 comments:

  1. If you are putting candy in the candle jar just make sure there is absolutely no candle scent lingering. My sister put cadbury mini eggs in cleaned out mason jars(that had held chili sauce) and the eggs tasted like chili sauce. I did not have the heart to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am funny about using my candle jars for food items. Even after cleaning them I don't trust them for food storage, so i usually use them for other things like cotton balls,homemade sugar scrub, buttons, or whatever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking it might make a great button jar. Right now I'm using a plastic applesauce jar. This would be an upgrade. :)

      Delete
  3. This weekend my brother and his family, Little One and myself went to an estate sale looking for a lawn mower. I think my brother was tired of me asking to borrow his. Well, I hit the "mother load" of thrift !!! I bought a lawn mower, with the manual, a garden hose with brass spray nozzle, a garden and lawn rake, a garden and snow shovel for $100.00. To show my appreciation to my brother and sister-in-law for helping me find this "thrifty miracle", I babysat their 2 girls for the remainder of the weekend. We all had a fun weekend and the best part is I got an amazing bargin.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Great job on the estate sale finds. You did fantastic.

      Delete
  4. The shorts you made came out very nice! I have to try the double narrow elastic method- sometimes I have a problem with the elastic twisting.

    I still needed to get out and do my big grocery shopping for this month (even though this month is almost over) so today I went to the grocery outlet and got some good deals. The problem was that I went shopping while I was hungry so I ended up buying some things that I normally would have passed up. (My grandmother always warned me about doing that..... she was right!) We were completely out of junk food, fruit and snack stuff so I got a bunch of things like that. I still need to hit the regular grocery store but I was glad I got what I did today.

    Congrats again to your 2 girls on their achievements! You have much to be proud of. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I am a very proud momma. Yeah, going to the store hungry never works well for me. everything looks good. Lol.

      Delete
  5. Good job on those shorts! They look like something you would buy at the store. I used coupons for items I was going to buy anyways and hung my laundry outside to dry. And the husband got a promotion and raise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whooo hooo! Congratulations to your husband and to you. That is wonderful. Lately I find myself using a lot more coupons than I usually do and they are all for items I buy regularly. I even have coupons for flour, fresh produce and meat. Go figure.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...