Monday, March 16, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I had a delightfully busy Sunday.  I love daylight savings time and I woke up motivated to really do some stuff.  I put the Daytona 500 NASCAR race on TV (Youtube), cleaned my kitchen and ran a load of laundry.  Then I brewed up a batch of beer.  Afterward I fixed my little darlings a pancake breakfast complete with sausage links.  I made extra pancakes for them to reheat for their breakfast before school throughout the week.

The weather was nice enough that we hung our sheets on the clothesline to dry.  I hope we can keep doing this.


Once the chores were done I took the girls to the dollar store to pick out new Easter baskets.  The old ones they had were worn out.  While we were there we happened upon a brand new display of flower and vegetable seed packets.  I was able to get almost all of the ones I had on my list for only 25¢ each.  The girls also picked out a new pair of gardening gloves.  I found a really nice self watering planter.  Even the cashier was impressed with it.  Now I'll have somewhere to put the spider plant once it takes root.

I also bought a package of 3 plastic lids for cat food as well as two packages of cheese slices and a package of sundried tomatoes.


On the way home I used store coupons and picked up two dozen eggs and a container of parmesan cheese for 99¢ each.  I grabbed a few extra coupons so I can stop and get more cheese later on.  The coupons are good until the end of the month.

I had put on a pot of ham and bean soup in the slow cooker using up some of the ham I had made the week before.  Our friends called and took us to dinner Sunday night so I saved it and reheated it for our supper on Monday night.  We made a batch of cornbread to go with it.  I also put some soup in a couple freezer containers for quick meals later down the road.

I gave my youngest a haircut.

The weather has been so nice I've been turning off the heat during the daytime.

The girls won a free package of Oreo cookies playing our grocery store's Monopoly game.  They were pretty excited about that.  They want to get the mint ones.


A friend and I met for dinner and then went to the movies on Tightwad Tuesday.  I used a gift card to pay for my movie ticket so I didn't have to spend any money out of pocket for it.  I kept my dinner tab to a minimum buy ordering a cobb salad and drinking water.  Since the credit union is located en route I also made my trip to the theatre count by waiting and making my bank deposit along the way saving myself from having to make a special trip and a little gas too. 
I refilled my kitchen hand soap dispenser using up the big jug of floral scented dish soap I buy at the dollar store.  I put some water in it and rinsed it out really well which gave me enough soap to wash a load of dinner dishes before I put the bottle into the recycle bin. 
I used a toothpick to remove the last of the Chapstick in the tube.  I am officially out of Chapstick now but I do have a tube of Blistek I received as part of a gift bag.  No better time to use that up than now.  In the meantime I will be looking for a sale on Chapstick so I can restock my stash.

I turned the bottle of lotion I keep on my desk at work upside down so I use it all up.  I replaced it with one a friend gave me a couple months ago.  She had collected it from her hotel while on vacation.

I washed out a one gallon and a two gallon Ziploc bag so I can reuse them.

I was offered the opportunity to work some overtime the last half of the week so I took it.  Three ten hour days will give me six hours at time and a half.  I plan to put all of the extra money I earn toward one of my financial goals.  It looks like that opportunity will be available through the remainder of the month.

My youngest entertaining the chicks.
I listened to music on Youtube.  We watched a few episodes of a couple TV shows we like on Amazon using our Roku.

I updated my household budget spreadsheets and adjusted my financial goals in the process.  Looking good!

I brought home another file folder box to re-use as a gift box and some cardboard squares I plan to use for an upcoming project.

I added coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells and vegetable scraps to our compost bin.  We shared some stale bread and a burnt pancake with the squirrels.  Soon our chickens will be getting the majority of the bread and veggie scraps.


I shopped online for bare root everbearing strawberry plants, raspberry starts and blueberry bushes.  I didn't buy any but I got some ideas and prices so I'll know if our local prices are within reason.  I found the strawberry plants for just over a dollar each with free shopping.  I doubt I'll find them here for less than that.  Plus they are guaranteed and come from a strawberry farm in Oregon.  Most likely I'll end up ordering those next month.

The youngest and I took some online coupons I printed off and headed to JoAnn Fabrics to pick up some sweatshirt fabric.  She has decided to join the track team at school and needs some shorts.  I was able to get a yard and a quarter for what we need at 50% off.  Great savings!


How thrifty were you last week?


5 comments:

  1. Your week was so productive! You accomplished so many things- I feel like I should hang my head. :(
    Our week was lost because every last one of us were hit very hard with the flu. Our meals were pathetic because nobody even wanted to eat anything. This week is going to be spent putting my house back together (you would not believe what could happen in a week!) and catching up with laundry, as well as taking it very slowly to finish recovering. If I can work myself up to it I may even venture to the grocery store at the end of the week. :)
    I have to check the dollar store to see if I can find those cat food can lids- we need something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- Love the pic of your cute little chick (and the cute little chicks she is holding!) :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry. That flu bug is horrible. I lost the first half of February to it. My littlest is a cutie - thanks! Those lids are pretty good quality too. I bought some at Petco once and they wouldn't stay on. I'm pretty happy with these. I can always mail you some if you can't find them. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice job. My baby got some free (to us) clothes, diapers, and food. I got some free food and drinks and I got an extra hour in at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay. Good for you! I like free. It is my favorite price. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...