Thursday, March 19, 2015

KIS - Meal Preparation


Along with saving money on grocery expenses and planning out our meals I have tried to make simplicity in meal preparation a big part of the process as well.  Three important things factor in to how I prepare meals.  Time.  Ease. Nutrition.


Time

When I get home from work I try to get my meals prepared and on the table in about thirty minutes or less.  I save more complicated and time consuming menus for the weekends when I have more time.  Weeknights are more limited with time and we tend to be rather busy so it has always been important to keep meals easy and quick to prepare.


Ease

To shave off prep time I try to plan our weeknight meals so I am preparing simple stuff.  For example in the time it takes to boil water and cook a pot of pasta or rice I can usually brown the meat and put the sauce together to simmer while it cooks.  By the time the rice is done or the pasta is ready to drain the sauce to accompany it is ready as well.  I usually will have at least ten minutes to put together a quick vegetable to heat in the microwave or put together a salad to serve with dinner.


Keeping the ingredient list for my main entrée around five items helps a lot too.

Generally I only serve a main dish and a vegetable during the week.  Everyone is responsible to help set the table and get drinks poured while I am cooking.  If I can get a helper in the kitchen, then so much the better.


Cleaning up as I go minimizes the work after we have enjoyed our meal too.  Helpers in the kitchen to put away leftovers, condiments, etc. and help with clearing the table and dishwashing is mandatory at our house.


Nutrition

Because I am only serving two things I try to pack as much nutrition as possible into each thing I prepare.  Salads with at least three vegetables in them are a huge part of our diet.  When I make main dishes I choose lean cuts of meat, add extra veggies where I can and limit starches.  For example when I make spaghetti sauce I like to add a can of diced tomatoes to my sauce.  Tuna casserole get peas added in while my creamy chicken and rice has chopped broccoli in it.


How are some ways you simplify meals and save time at your house?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...