Monday, March 30, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


For Sunday breakfast I made pumpkin waffles with bacon and homemade syrup.  I saved the rendered bacon fat in a pesto jar I had washed out and saved.  Mmmmm. Liquid gold.

I took a Fred Meyer survey and earned an extra 50 fuel points to use on my next gas purchase.

To use up the rest of the can of pumpkin and some leftover cream cheese I had I baked a big sheet pan of pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.  I sent some over to our neighbors and took a plate to work.


We gave the chickies their first taste of homemade bread.  They love it!

I bottled up nineteen 16oz. bottles of my latest batch of home brew.  After washing out the keg I went ahead and cooked up a new batch and refilled it.  I put the filled bottles into our hall closet to carbonate.  Because our hot water heater is in there the temperature is consistent and the perfect environment for this part of the process.


I restocked my produce drawer in the refrigerator super duper cheap by using a bunch of the coupons Fred Meyer sent me and buying items on sale.


Lettuce (88¢ - 45¢ coupon) 43¢, coleslaw mix (98¢ - 45¢ coupon) 53¢, one pound baby carrots (on sale 99¢ - 40¢ coupon) 59¢, green onions 59¢, broccoli 70¢ ($1.29/lb.), three yellow onions (39¢/lb.) 49¢, mushrooms ($1.99 - 50¢ coupon) $1.49 and tomatoes (99¢/lb.) 51¢.  Totaling $4.74 less another coupon for $1 OFF a $4 produce purchase for a grand total of $3.74!!  Pretty dang good don't you think?

I watched a couple TV shows online.  I listened to music on YouTube.

I worked some more overtime this week.

The seeds my daughter saved from a Roma tomato and I planted using the bottom of a half gallon milk jug and soil from the garden are up.  They sprouted in just a week so I decided to compost the other plantings and replant using the garden soil instead of what is in the planters.  Hopefully I'll do better this time around.

Scratching around by the pond
After work I stopped by and picked up a new 3 cubic foot bale of pine shavings at the feed store as we had run out.  Not only will this be used in the chicken coop, and currently the brooder, but I plan to use some of it to mulch the garden too.  The bales run $9.99 each and they last a really long time.

Friday, after dinner, we had Family Movie Nite complete with ice cream cones.  We watched X Men on YouTube through our Roku.  The girls had never seen it and they really liked it.  It had been quite awhile for me as well.

Dust bath in the strawberry bed.
Enjoy it ladies before this area is off limits.
We got quite a bit of rain last week which helped tremendously to water the lawn and as a result the grass seed has begun to sprout.  We only had to hand water twice.  I was very excited to see the new grass poking up through the old pine shavings we used to mulch it in.  I am hopeful our little patch of lawn will regain its former glory this year.

How thrifty were you last week?


8 comments:

  1. Amazing deal on produce! Wow!!
    Pumpkin waffles sound divine :).

    Your baby chicks are too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic produce deals. Where do you find produce coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did score some great deals last week. Pumpkin waffles...they sound yummy and I have some frozen pumpkin in the freezer. May have to give them a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing the idea and I love your jellybean background.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. The waffles were wonderful. I love pretty much anything with pumpkin so I eat it year round. No need for Thanksgiving, I'll have pumpkin pie on the 4th of July! LOL

      Delete
  4. Good deal on that produce! I bought little one a lot of baby food last week. Every bit of it 50% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good deal on the baby food. Great savings! I am seriously enjoying my salads and veggies this week. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...